Friday, March 13, 2009

Epic Win

After a rather stressful and discombobulating week in which my only topic of reflection was getting my drivers' license, I may finally take a breath, lift the burden off my shoulders, and glance at my glossy temporary drivers' license that now rests smugly in my wallet. God does it feel good.

My only mishap was parallel parking, in which I was nowhere near the curb and got stuck in a dip and had to apply the gas (which is terrifying when you're so close to the barrels) when trying to get closer, but my "guy" (I can't think of a more suitable title at this time) was alright with it and told me to proceed. After the parallel parking, I was calm. I did everything right from that moment on. However, two mishaps could've happened if I wasn't alert and attentive to the road and my surroundings. While practicing with Driver Dan on the course that the test would take me on (God bless him -- he's a great teacher even though I never got used to his car) I never had to once stop at this one stop-walk because nobody ever crossed it while I was driving through with him. So what happens when I'm taking my road test? An elderly woman taking her good ol' time crossing the walk. I'm a patient person having grew up as a hunter and I could've waited there all day if I had to, but when I'm taking a test that determines if I'm going to leave the Dunmore DMV empty-handed or not, I'm going to be a bit impatient to get it over with. My second possible incident could've happened right at the driveway leading into the DMV where I had to turn. Two individuals were walking from the DMV and were about to walk out in front of me without looking but thankfully they looked and stopped themselves. If I wasn't taking the test, I would've checked my rear view mirror and if no cars were coming I would've stopped to let them go, but dammit, I'm coming through because I'm seconds away from passing my test! Oh, and I left my blinker on after making a turn and realized five seconds later that it was still clicking away and turned it off. "Guy" said nothing about it. "Guy" didn't even come out directly and tell me what the result of my test was. He just said, "Go in and get your picture taken."

When I was leaving the DMV with Driver Dan, I witnessed a poor woman fail her test. I was coming around behind the DMV where the test begins and a large SUV-like vehicle was doing the parallel parking portion of the test. I stopped and waited for her to pull into the parking space before I proceeded. I didn't have to wait long. This was what I saw: pull up, reverse to the right, two barrels knocked over, abruptly stopped, pulled up quick, stopped. Failed. If I witnessed that before my test, I would've wet myself. Thankfully my proof of passing the test was in my pocket at the time and I was leaving the DMV (hopefully) for the last time.

I still can't drive. I have no insurance and my father can't set any up until Monday, which is a shame because I have to get to Borders to do research for a paper due Monday that I didn't start yet, and I will need a ride to go to Lauren's softball game on Monday. However, I'm halfway there. I got my license. The hard part is however. Praise the Lord! I wonder what it'll be like driving on my own, nobody in the car to talk to or distract me. I can plug in my iPod and listen to music while cruising down Route 6. I can drive to work now and won't have to depend on my father to take me. Life is great.

I'm going to read my Stephen King book now in peace. I got to a good part before I had to go take my test and I couldn't read with a concentrated mind at the time. Now I have nothing to worry about.

Have a good one!

No comments: