Saturday, October 13, 2007



Anne Frank

This lovely care-free week that just ended alotted for plenty of free time after school where I had some moments to think and most importantly, pick back up on some leisure reading. I haven't made it to the library recently, therefore I resorted to choosing a random novel off my bookshelf. I chose one called "The Secret Garden." I've read it before, years ago, during the 4th grade. My teacher [whom I completely admired] let me have it, and I remember reading it shortly thereafter. Today I barely remember anything about it aside from a young girl and a key. Well, it was an advanced novel for a 4th grader, including difficult vocabulary. I had a hard time following the story at that age, so decided I'd give it a chance and reread it today at the level I am now, if that makes any sense. :P That way I could enjoy the story in a different way. I was able to start it this week and plan on finishing it soon. :]


AnneHowever, that's not my point. I suppose thinking back to 4th grade revived some of my precious memories as to when we spent half the year learning in detail about World War II [which to this day still stands as my favorite topic to learn about]. If you have never heard of Miss Anne Frank, then you are missing out on one of the most touching stories to ever be heard. I first heard her story in elementary school, probably 4th grade, and it has been with me ever since. The impact of her story is unbelievable. As you should know, her precious diary was found after the war and today is the second most popular piece of non-fiction, second only to the Bible.

Her BookI tried to read her diary during 4th grade, but much like "The Secret Garden" which I mentioned earlier, it was different and even a bit difficult for me read. Having that extra time this week and remembering books and the like from 4th grade reminded me instantly of "The Diary of Anne Frank", that deep burgundy cover with her smiling picture on the cover. I intend to read her diary again by purchasing my own copy, and reading it in much more detail than those years ago. The thought touches me, and also reminds me of my own words. It was after learning about her in 4th grade that I started writing more than I had before. I had empty diaries which became filled with my ramblings, which have now progressed here at this blog. I think that not only is writing one of the most powerful forms of expression out there, it can be permanent. It can live on after you..

Near the start of this blog last night, I took a few hours of my empty evening to watch the movie of Anne Frank via YouTube which held the entire film. The first and last time I saw this movie was during 4th grade, when oddly enough amidst our learning of the topic her movie was shown on ABC, split into two nights. I watched the entire movie back then. I even cried and had nightmares after visually seeing her life played out. Watching it tonight was no different. I found tears rolling down my cheeks during the last part. It's one of those movies where you can't help but cry, and me being so attatched to the story only increases that as it just breaks my heart over again each time.

Hannah-Taylor GordonI guess what I want to say is how much I admire Anne Frank, who she was, and who she aspired to be. Her story is sure one that will be in my heart forever. In the movie, the actress whom plays Anne [portrayed to the left] starts with some of the most hopeful lines that watching it this second time stuck with me. She says: "I want to be a champion skater and a writer, my picture in all the magazines...I want to be different from all the other girls...I want to travel, study languages, and history. I want to do everything.."

Anne, her true self.Simply hearing these words right in the beginning is enough to make my eyes tear. Anne Frank was a girl with so many dreams and so many goals. She didn't want to blend in. She wanted to be known for who she was, not who everyone else was. This particularly inspires me because I've always wanted to have that same mind-set with life. I also found it so very ironic that a girl who had such a passion for history, is now herself permanately a huge part of history herself. She was so brave and can stand for what it means not to give up. In watching the movie, certain parts stood out where those around her would falter with negative thoughts, and Anne would reply saying things like "hope can't be lost." Plus, she'd always be dreaming of the things she couldn't wait to do once the war was over. On top of this I feel she sets a good example of not ever taking things for granted, which is something we all do everyday. While she was secretly hiding with her family, she'd speak of how hearing the church bells ring down the street made her smile, and staring out the small attic window to watch the birds reminded her that life still exists outside those four walls. I like those parts of her story as it acts as a reality check, in a way, of how precious simple things in life are and how grateful people should be for them.

The movie really does an excellent job at portraying Anne and her typical girlish thoughts. She didn't always get along with her parents, she was in a rush to look more like a woman, she dreamed what her first kiss would feel like. She wanted to experience all those things, yet her dreams were given no time to turn true..

The museum's candlesThe whole Holocaust itself sends shivers down my spine. I know horrible things happen everyday and have always been so in the past, but some hit me personally harder than others, this being one of them. We took a field trip to Washington DC in 4th grade and one of the places we visited was the Holocaust Museum. We saw the ever-burning candle, lit in memory of so many that were innocently killed. It was so sad to see then, and even more sad to remember now. It's upsetting how so many innocent people, like this beautiful young girl, my own age, suffered in a way that no human ever deserves. To imagine onself in such a position is utterly unbearable.

Anne, her true self.If this story can not become more sad, it does. By the time Americans reached the concentration camp at which Anne was located, she had died only two weeks before. She was soo close, so close, to making it. Only her father and some of her friends survived. The story of Anne Frank constantly arises "what if?" and "why?" questions in my mind. However that part of the past can't be changed now, but it really makes me think. I used to wonder to myself that if Anne Frank were alive today I'd go meet her, or if she had been my age now I'd be her best friend. I guess you can truly say she's inspired me beyond words and I admire who she was. I'm sure she'd be ecstatic to know how she's as famous as her favorite stars were that she had pictures of on her bedroom wall. I'm sure she'd be pleased to know how her words have touched the hearts of others.

Well, I guess that is all I have to write for now. I'm glad when certain topics arise like this that allow me to write a blog over, as opposed to my typical weekly chatter. :P Until next time, adios.




-Rest in Peace Anne Frank. Your story is tragically beautiful.

3 comments:

Ashlee said...

I've never read the Diary of Anne Frank but I've read several fictional and non-fictional books about the Holocaust: "Number the Stars" by Lois Lowry and "Night" by Eli Wiesel in particular.

In middle school, we had a chance to either go to the Holocaust Museum or to go see a set of short plays--I was all for the museum--but unfortunately, we saw the plays instead. But from the research I've done on the subject throughout the years, I'm thinking maybe it was better that I didn't go. I'd still like to visit it as an adult, though.

You're a really great writer; I totally could feel what you were saying in this blog. It's refreshing to see that teenagers do have worthy role models and not just people like Paris Hilton.

Cialina at Muggle-Born.net said...

I visited the Holocaust Museum two years ago and it took my breathe away. I learned about the Holocaust in school, as well, after reading a play version of Anne's diary. It had a tremendous impact on me, but it was different being in the museum.

I have high respect for Anne Frank, and its very unfortunate how her life came to such a short end.

Anonymous said...

I never read this. It came up briefly in school, but I don't remember how, why, or anything about it.

Maybe I'll check it out now, for my own personal interes.