Tuesday, October 16, 2007



Slacking?

Besides slacking highly on writing here at the blog (this is my first blog entry in October -- hurray!), I sense that I may also be slacking in school. My grades are not dropping (yet), but my motivation toward school seems to be altering slightly toward a more carefree perspective. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, as I seem to feel quite uncomfortable when I'm not sitting around stressing over exams and homework like I did in the past, but God does it feel good to just sit around, relax, or possibly hang out with friends online or through phone conversations. I feel like I can do normal teenager events while sustaining my grades at school, yet something doesn't seem right. I think the fact that I dropped anatomy in school greatly contributed to this new way of life. Not only do I not have to stress out over the homework, tests, and challenging material such as dissecting that the class presents, but I have a study hall now everyday where I can get homework and studying done. The thing that doesn't feel right is that, lately, in this study hall I haven't been taking advantage of it other than progressing further in the book that I'm reading -- Eragon. Maybe it's because of the sudden lack of work that has fallen upon me, but I'm sure that a big boom (saying such was inspired by one of Jonathan Coulton's songs) will be occurring soon enough. This week I have a history quiz, psychology test, history test, a Spanish skit to perform, and a math quiz and I just feel very carefree right now. If you were to rewind a few weeks back, I would be studying for 3/4 of those tests right now.

And really, I think I should still be that way. I'm running into exams blind, rushing through homework almost carelessly for no reason, and I study a lot less, and so far I seem to be doing okay with grades. However I guess I'll see the ultimate consequences of this system after I receive the grades of the exams that I will be taking later on this week. Even if they're in the lower 90's, which would be an amazing grade for many individuals, I would probably force myself to get back into gear. Maybe you can call me a perfectionist when it comes to getting grades (however I'm far from it in many other departments of life), but I really feel down in the dumps when I got about an 88 or lower. Thankfully it rarely happens, and I'm able to "hammer" out the answers on most tests and receive grades of 97+. But like I was saying, with this carefree attitude, it's hard to hammer answers on a test. Well, not hard, but it takes more thinking than usual. Normally, if I prepared well for a test, I see the question and it translates to me, "What are the first three letters of the alphabet?" and as easily and fast as you may answer that, I have the question on the test answered and moving on to the next one. But lately I see the question for how it is, and it involves headaches to go through a whole set of them.

Don't even get me started on AP Chemistry. That class is stress, stress, stress. Thankfully he wasn't here yesterday and we got no homework today, so I really had nothing to worry about at home revolving around that subject. However I feel this big boom coming, fast. Things are going to start piling up starting tomorrow -- I feel it in my blood. We're starting something new in chem so we'll get homework on top of an already started lab, we just finished going over the history of the medieval ages in English so we'll probably have to start reading passages and answering questions, and math and Spanish will resume throwing homework at us, and add the exams I already know about as well as ones that'll sneak into the schedule and this carefree attitude will go out the window. I just hope I have an easy time adjusting to the sudden change.

Well, I have to actually go now and review for that history quiz, but I expect to actually write more during the week regardless of homework and tests, even if it's a teeny little passage. I just need to post more! And if you're wondering about the lack of pictures/captions, it's just to conserve time in the writing of my blog and mostly you may only see pictures during the weekend when I have more time to blow off.

Have a good one.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. School sucks, but life sure gets a lot more complicated. Enjoy every moment while you're young.

Anonymous said...

wow, we're the same!

Thao said...

AP classes are nothing til you get to college... if you're going to study something difficult anyway. High school will be a breeze when you look back. I used to never study and got all A's, but it changed =)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll do fine. I mean, you get good grades anyway, so taking it easy once in a while won't hurt.. Just make sure you get what's needed done.

Anonymous said...

you shouldn't stress out too much in high school. wait till you get to college! but seriously, you deserve to have fun from time to time.

Anonymous said...

school can be really really stressful. specially if you're not 100% focus on it. haha. i say it like i was focused on school when i was giong. yeah it's okay to slack around for a bit, but don't let it become a habit. go sit around, relax, but make sure u get your school work done! goodluck, and have fun. and btw, why'd u drop anatomy? it's the most fun class ever!! =]

Buddy Foote said...

@Nina: I didn't really have the stomach for anatomy, and with all the other advanced classes that I'm in with the multitude of work thrown at me, I needed a study hall in there to get some things done there and live a normal teenager life at home while sustaining my school grades. I mean, I'm ranked first in the class (with your very own Caitlin at the blog ranked second) so it's not like I'm an uber slacker who never does their work, but it just felt strange not being loaded with work. However last night changed that after I had a skit, two exams, and an AP chem homework assignment that took about four hours to complete to all work on. -_-

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

school...somehow I kinda miss all those exam pressures, but man...I feel relived at the same time that all them are now over for me, well at least for now that I decided to work...

You still can enjoy school in the midst of all those works, and slacking off is common most of the time,but for me, abusing would give you ,ore headache...hehehe, and trust me, you don't want that...

I hope you'll get your motivation back..:D

Anonymous said...

I hated school when I was there, but you have to think, it doesn't last forever.