Friday, February 22, 2008



Snowflake Drama

I think I stole Steve's blog motivation today because I suddenly have a burst of blog writing energy! :P As I look over my shoulder, out into the large field all I see is white. [Haha..I lie. It is night now so I just see black. Wow..major opposite.] But when it was daytime, all I saw was a fuzzy white blanket, honestly. That is because we got this delicious snow storm today. As of ten minutes ago, we have eight inches in my backyard. Before we measured it I took a guess of eight inches and booyah I was so right! :D Nice guess huh? School was cancelled so I spent my day doing random activities.

I am going out to rent Hairspray tomorrow. Being the devoted Zac Efron fan I now am, I am really anxious to see him in that film. When it came out in theatres around the time of HSM 2 I was not interested in it at all, but because I am now what better weekend to check it out? You can probably expect my next blog entry to be a mini-review of it. :) Ever since I've become a Drama Thespian I really find myself being fond of musicals and movies, and of course, plays. I always enjoyed them here and there in the past but recently I find myself very very interested. :P Hairspray, for example. I was rattling off the names of the actors and actresses that are in it like the back of my hand and I never even saw the movie yet. Either I am paying better attention or my interest is causing me to store that kind of information now. I mean, two plus years ago I watched very little movies because they all bored me and I never had a favorite actor. Look at me now. Zefron's my boy and I can't wait to take someone to see his upcoming movie 17 Again in theatres in a few months, and then I'm sure I'll eventually see his other three films in progress which include "Me and Orson Welles", "High School Musical 3", and "Footoose" is a possibility too. =P Woah. Why do I know all this? xD I feel in-tune with Hollywood. :P

Alright back on topic. Speaking of what my friends and I call d-ma [aka drama], this week that was supposed to include practice almost every day including tomorrow all came to a sudden halt when literal drama pursued. My school's drama club was originally practicing to perform the play "A Chorus Line" in a few months. We had already been working on it for a good two weeks without script copies. Here's what I got out of what happened. We had practice on like..Tuesday night I think it was? After our half hour to change, eat, and stretch, the drama director called us over and we sat in a circle around her as she began telling us some news. It was bad off the bat. :P She said that we can't do A Chorus Line any longer. If you don't know, that play is highly inappropiate in its original form and we had planned just to change the necessary words/lines, which would have been fine. I think the director was waiting on the scripts to come or something and they weren't so her and the principal called the company. See, I guess when a school does a play they have to buy certain rights for the scripts and agree to some copyright stuff and this can all be done through the company that owns the play and its scripts. While on the phone with the company, the person on the phone made it perfectly clear that with their script there is to be absolutly NO editing of any sort and it would have to be performed in its originality. Obviously the school board and parents wouldn't allow such. You may be thinking, "well how would this company even know if we changed the lines?" They probably wouldn't, but it would be too much of a risk and one the school does not want to take because what if someone sued or something..y'know? There was also no other school version of A Chorus Line, so the only option was to really choose another play. The rest of that night was spent with everybody yelling random musicals out and just everyone discussing possible options. It was exciting actually. xD Sadly, when someone mentioned HSM the idea was literally murdered. -sniff sniff- :P I knew that'd happen anyway so I kept my hopes low on that one. ;P Nothing was decided that night but the most popular musicals the majority really liked including ones like Aladin, The Lion King, Footloose, and Cats. I thought the Lion King would be pretty awesome, especially considering it was my first and favorite movie ever. I liked Aladin for a split second because I love the songs, then I realized how little parts there sort of are, so I revoked my vote. :P Footloose would rock my socks too. Cats was a crazy out there idea that someone mentioned as a joke but when it came up half the crowd roared and started screaming "OMG YEAAAH!" Especially my friend so I sort of am at blame as being one of those that freaked out too. xD

There are so many factors that had to be taken into consideration though in order to even think about a play. Props, costumes, cost, cast, and audience appeal are just to name a few. Rumors said that when the director had her meeting, Cats was agreed upon. However, I have not received any official email confirming this so it really could be anything. I have to say that if we did Cats, it'd be very time consuming and difficult but probably one of the greatest times of my life and if I thought drama was fun now it'd be even more so just getting to be there and learn the songs and dance. My naaaaaame is Cat, I am born kittttty. xD -meow-. I love Mr. Mistoffolees, Macavity, Jellicle Catssss....ah! :) Anything would be cool though. Fun fun! :) I'll write again soon. And boyyy, it is still snowing so steady! I lovvee it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snow, I have to say I'm very envious of ya'all right now.

I think it would be great if you guys could do Cats. I can't believe I still have Macavity's song memorized. ^^; Such a dork. But yeah, definately one of my favorite plays of all time.

Anonymous said...

snow. bleh, I want the cold weather to go away. It snowed once, I'm happy. Now I want it to warm back up. *pouts*
The plays sound cool. I think I would rather do The Lion King. I LOVE that movie! :D

Anonymous said...

I wish it would snow here, I miss it :(.
What a loser company, they should allow you to change the profanity in the play. But, at least you get to do Cats, maybe. I'd prefer to do lion king though! :)