Saturday, September 29, 2007



Stress


This is how I am almost every school day after coming home from school -- a workaholic and stressed out.

Where's the summer where you need it? Honestly, I cannot wait until it's summer again. School this year is just too much too soon and is extremely stressful. I said this so many times in the past too about this school year, but it really is too much to comprehend. I mostly spend time doing homework after school from 3 P.M. to 10-11:30 P.M. and in reality, that's not right. This is the main reason why I didn't post in about 19 days. Of course the blog was able to be updated regularly in the past school years (10th and 9th grades) as we didn't receive as much work. Honestly, you would mostly have math, maybe English, and a five minute assignment in one or two other classes, and maybe a test that you barely have to study for because it's all matching or multiple choice and the answer is right in front of you. The most stressful times in those years were around midterms and finals, and if we had a project to do in a class, an essay to write, or an oral presentation to give. Now let's fast forward back to this school year -- 11th grade. The tests are mostly all fill-in-the-blanks and essays with multiple choice, matching, and true-or-false only appearing rarely (unless that's the format of every test in a specific course). The most stressful time this year is pretty much all year; in a single week we may have an essay due, a chemistry lab due, three to six tests or quizzes, and a lot of homework assignments every night. And honestly, it's horrible when you're doing homework for three to four hours and still have two exams to study for. And yes, we shouldn't cram, I agree. I tried not to cram at the beginning of this school year. It's almost impossible, however, to study for a test you have Thursday on Monday when you have two exams on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and hours upon hours of homework to do. By the time you do the work that has to be done for Tuesday, you're dead tired. 11th grade compared to any previous grade that I was ever in is the hardest grade out of them all. I was able to easily breeze through 10th grade with only a few stressful encounters, but this year isn't going to be a breeze. This year is a year of survival -- either you try hard and live, or you slack and die. A month of school is about finished, and let me tell you, I'm not anxious one bit for the other eight months. If I'm having difficulties this early on, then it's only going to get harder and more advanced. Honestly, I envy the people who have an extracurricular activity and/or job and can still get good grades in school. I'm stressed out with just school itself.


I hope to see this amazing man on October 19th. We just need a ride. And no, do not volunteer.

Yesterday has been a good day, however, and made me feel a bit better after a rather stressful week of school. One of the items of business I cannot state as it's classified, but I shall openly share the other two. After school I came home and ran to my laptop to relax a little bit before the Friday night high school football game between the Lakeland Chiefs and the Carbondale Chargers. Normally as soon as I come onto the computer, I check two sites right off the bat. The stats for Buddy Foote's Blog v.2 (which may I add has been doing horrible lately -- we only had eight uniques last Tuesday!) and Jonathan Coulton's blog. I'm always anxious to see whether or not Coulton has any new shows that are close to home so that I may attend them. I realized that he was on the east coast and I wondered if he may travel from Maine down the coast and hopefully stop in Pennsylvania. So I click on "Shows" and notice that his table of shows appeared to be longer. Excited, I actually read the contents of the table. In the last row, I noticed the abbreviation "PA" and it just jumped out at me and I grabbed it and read more. Coulton is coming to Sellersville, PA and will be playing at the Sellersville Theater. I never heard of the town/city of Sellersville, so I hopped onto Google Maps to get the distance from my house to Sellersville. Well, I learned that Sellersville was two hours away, down past Allentown, and I live up north between Scranton and Carbondale in the town of Jermyn. I have traveled distances that long a lot of times in the near past, such as when I went to Hersey Park with Craig and to Knobels with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew, and niece this summer. Well, I told Craig and Caitlin yesterday about the event and asked if they wanted to go, and they happily agreed. However, we have a conundrum here. We need a ride. I asked my father and he said 'maybe', and I asked Caitlin to see what her father would say but I'll find that answer out today. Once we can find a ride, we'll buy the tickets online, and October 19th will be the happiest day of my life (as well as Roman's birthday). Just the thought of seeing JoCo live brings shivers down my spine, and really, I can't imagine it. I can't imagine him being right there in front of me up on a stage singing and playing his heart out. I hope that we can get pictures with him though -- that would be freaking awesome! Jonathan Coulton ftw.


The only ball that I look forward to every Friday night. Only to think that we already played five games in the season.

And the second good element of my day was the football game last night, in which Lakeland won with the final score: 46-15. And the only reason Carbondale even scored is because we had our second string in with their first string. The score was 40-0 before Carbondale even scored, and then even after they scored twice, our second string was able to charge down the field for another touchdown against their first string -- and the amazing part was that it was the last five seconds of the game when we scored. So now Lakeland is 4-1, with our only defeat by Abington Heights -- which is a quad A school versus a double A school, and we lost to them for years so what's to change?

Well, not to cut this blog off, but I have to go get ready as Darrin is taking a few of us out to eat somewhere. Have a good one.

No comments: