Friday, March 17, 2006

New Runescape Player

I have yet again succeded in getting another one of my friends to play the wonderful MMORPG Runescape -- this friend being Caitlin. I'm getting all of my friends addicts to this game. First it was Craig, then Craig's brother, then Andy tried it but thought it was stupid, and now Caitlin is playing it. I forgot to take pictures because I was on my desktop and I only take pictures of Runescape on my laptop. However if I played the game with her on my laptop, she'd be bored from all of the lag I would be experiencing. However she had some computer problems herself and was disconnected a lot of times but I can't blame her being that she was using Internet Explorer as the browser to run it on. I use the client SwiftSwitch and quickly recommended that. Overall, I recommend Firefox as a default browser. I hope she liked the game though. I tried my best to explain stuff to her, taught her how to follow me and trade, and had her almost die accidentally. How? We were walking from Draynor Village to the outside of the Lumbridge castle walls to fight the giant rats and get her into combat when my desktop acted up for the first time and I couldn't walk, however I could still click around the map and see the yellow crosspoints pop up. I was quite nervous because we were in the area with the mugglers, in which these agressive enemies attack the lower level players a.k.a. new players. I once died on one of these guys myself on my first or second day of playing the game back in Augest. Sure enough, my computer acted up right next to a muggler and she almost died, as I was shouting in our Google Talk conversation, "RUN! Run!" Thankfully she got away, good job.

While Caitlin was doing Tutorial Island, I was standing in the courtyard outside of Lumbridge castle waiting for her in World 43 (my old f2p world) with all of my stuff that I was going to give to her, such as 1,300 gp, some lobsters, cake, gold necklace, wizard hat, chef's hat, iron axe, iron mace, iron dagger, etc. I had my rune armour on and I was weilding my dragon longsword for the first time in a f2p world. I was getting some attention but actually not as much as I got when I had my rune hally out when I was getting my cooking up when Craig lost members a month or so ago. Now I'm going to have to get a dragon hally and see what happens. Anyway, this one f2p player walks up to me while I'm standing around yelling at the noob callers and reporting some people trying to get my password and even talking to some other members who are visiting the f2p worlds and says, "Can I have your sword plz?" Right away I asked, "Are you a member?" Then he says, "No but I'm going to be soon." And then I said, "It cost me 100k." And I believe he then walked away. Ten minutes or more he pms me, "So, can I have your sword?" I hate some people...

Here's what I thought the funny part was. While waiting for Caitlin, I was killing some women and men who were walking around and thought out of bones that I rarely ever bury (I only go for big bones or higher nowadays) that I might bury one. With my luck, a random event hapens. No, not a zombie or a shade but the newest random event (I think) with the grave digger. Well, Caitlin was just finished with Tutorial Island right around this point and I couldn't solve the grave digger puzzle for the life of me. I thought you had to match the pictures up but after a lightbulb was turned on in my head, I figured out what to do (try to identify what type of person each dead body was and put it in the correct grave) and got my reward of two zombie items, being zombie boots and some zombie item you put on your torso...God, I forgot. So I was releashed back to Lumbridge and saw Caitlin standing there walking around in circles avoiding the crowd so I then began my tour.

First I wanted to teach her how to trade. I wanted to take her to a quiet place so we headed over to the Lumbridge graveyard. Well, these two guys followed me over and were standing around me while I was explaining stuff to Caitlin which sort of freaked me out. I told her how to trade and I gave her my stuff but, trade declined. Inventory full. I didn't realize that Tutorial Island gave you a lot of items. So I told her to follow and after some computer problems, we headed over to the bank in Draynor Village. I then had her deposit her stuff and then gave her the items I originally attended to give her, in which she wore the wizard hat and necklace and weilded the iron mace. I then explained the fighting styles to her and how certain ones give you exp in only certain skills. I explained it in a wrong way which confused her even more, so I just shut up and we went to do some combat. This is when that muggler incident happened. In case she died, I would've picked up the stuff she dropped for her but still, the thought of dying just kills you. I then had her fight giant rats, but the darn things were doing more damage to her than she was to them. So I gave her six lobsters and two cakes and ran off back to Draynor to get my tinderbox and rune axe to chop trees to cook the rat's meat for her, but it became late at this point and she was yet again having some computer troubles.

My plan for her now is this: I sent her the link to Tip.It's beginner guide which goes in-depth and explains things better than I ever would. She stated she'll read it before she plays tomorrow (well, actually today because it just turned twelve). Then, we're going to leave the giant rats and train on cows and chickens. Plus maybe level two goblins. Once her combat is level ten, I might introduce her to the other non-combat skills to give her an idea on how to earn a profit. I recommend for her to chop trees, selling the wood. Once she can cut willows, she could then sell those 30 gp each to other players. Then once she can cut yews, it's money paradise. Another choice is mining (my original money maker) but on f2p, it's a killer. Mines are always overcrowded. I also want to show her around so that the other areas outside of Draynor and Lumbridge won't seem scary, such as Port Sarim, Falador, Edgeville, Barberian Village, Al Kharid, and Varrock. I hope you read this Caitlin so you get a basic understanding of what I'm showing you next.

I hope she likes the game though. That would make me happy. The more the merrier.

It's late and I'm falling asleep so have a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was reading your blog and you might want to bring her to al kharid this city is really good for new players to runescape.

Unknown said...

Hola Steve! =) Oh yay this has gotta be my second favorite post ever! Hehe..plus this one was so funny! First, I wanna tell you that I really liked Runescape! I woke up this morning and remembered about it, then said to myself "Hmm I really feel like playing that new game again today!" So, yes I did enjoy it last night, it's fun [:

LoL I burst out laughing reading your post when you wrote about my near-death experience .. "RuN RuN!" That really scared me, my goal is to try not to die a lot in that game =P Hahahaha and then I started laughing again reading "and saw Caitlin standing there walking around in circles avoiding the crowd" LoL! So true..true true..I felt so weird and lost ..I was busy admiring the fountain while making laps around and around ..and around. xD

I read your plan paragraph for me next too. That sounds great, and I can't thank you enough for your helping me get started in this game, I appreciate it much! Thank you!! [:

I also have visited, read and [somewhat] downloaded SwiftSwitch like I promised I'd do. I learned a few things I didn't know..and now I answered my own question of what MMO in MMORPG stood for haha..I will be on later if you are so you know!

Another grande comment de me! ^_~ TtyL*