Sunday, November 11, 2007



Trojan Man-ia

Screw an introduction. I need to start off this entry ASAP with all of the happenings that occurred in the past few weeks. But first, my excuse for not posting here for a while: um...school and my fresh addiction to World of Warcraft once again, however there's more to it as you shall find out in the next few paragraphs.

One of the biggest reasons why I didn't post in a while is because my three-year old laptop got a few trojans on it last Friday. It was late at night and I was trying to find this file before I went to bed as I had to wake up to go turkey hunting the next morning. It was already after eleven, so I was rushing to find this file so I could go to bed, otherwise I would be up all night looking for it and be a zombie in the morning. I was deep into the Google search at this point, where you have websites with ads covering the whole site, descriptions that seem convincing but the site is nothing useful, etc. At this point, I just wanted to get the file, see if it would help me at all (I was working on a new forum that would function as a homework help site for my class at Lakeland), and then go to bed. Well, I finally found a file, yet the name of it disturbed me and I knew it was fake, yet something drove me to download and open the .exe file. Turns out that this file was fake, and infected with spyware, viruses, trojans, etc. galore. I knew something was wrong when these unknown programs were popping up as icons on my desktop and my computer was running slower than a snail that ran into a road block. The next day, after hunting, I come home after running a scan all day and night to find that no viruses were found, however the problem still remained, and was intensifying by the second. By the next day, the computer literally died. Upon turning the laptop on, it would load up normally and then the user log-in screen came up. As soon as that happened I knew something was wrong, as in the three years that I had my laptop, I never once enabled that feature. Thankfully my password was blank, so I logged in without any difficulty. So I log in and I'm sitting there waiting for the desktop to load. The wallpaper in the background loaded (which I thought was also weird as when the viruses first started to invade my computer, my default wallpaper disappeared) but after waiting for about ten minutes, nothing else loaded besides a few pop ups from virus programs that I never installed telling me that I have about six trojans infecting my laptop. At this point and after my father trying a variety of methods to solve this problem, we pretty much gave up. Then one day I was fooling around in safe mood when my father called telling me that his friend's friend was a former computer programmer and wanted to take a look at the laptop to see if he can fix it. Unfortunately, after having it for a day, he gave up and I had my good ol' shitty laptop sitting on my kitchen table once again. A few days after we got it back, my father found a professional from the state (as he works for PennDOT) to look into the issue. And that is where we are at in present time, as there was no word from him yet. I just hope that something could be done to remove these viruses, however I know there's a 99.5% chance that I will never be able to use that laptop again with the files that I have on it now. And that's depressing -- three years of files, documents, pictures, movies, etc. are on there and they will no longer exist. I'm kicking myself for two reasons: one reason is never creating back-up discs, and the second reason is if I went to bed early or just didn't look for that file in the first place, that I would still have my laptop. And I'm typing this at Craig's house right now as I'm staying over for the night (I hate my desktop's keyboard at home so I'm thankful that he let me use his) and it stinks being over here without my laptop -- just because it feels different. Actually, it may be better -- his laptop runs smoother than my 2005 piece of junk. Hmm, maybe this incident will mean that I'll have a HP Pavilion TX1327CL under my Christmas tree this year.

And now for just a brief paragraph about a new member to my family. Craig.

Nah, it's not a human but rather a fluffy little thing. My new kitten -- Zoey. I received her from my friend Ashley this previous Thursday. She's extremely cute: black with white paws, the white on the back paws extending further up the leg than the front, and some white on the underside. And her eyes are like shining diamonds -- even richer than Kyle's whole family's yearly income. And that is all the information on today's episode of Chalk Talk with Mr. Soltus. I need to go level up my newly created troll hunter (however the desolate Horde territories are so...unusual compared to the happy-go-getting Alliance areas) and watch Craig get attuned to Karazhan.

Have a good one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you still can't get it off try [GeeksToGo].

Have fun with WoW :P

~Matt :)

Julie S said...

Oh yes the world of warcraft addicts hehe. Yuck about the laptop, viruses are never fun and it sounds like your laptop is in trouble. Hopefully it can be fixed.

~Julie http://velvet-rose.net

Unknown said...

Holy molyyyy steveeeee! you're alive. :)

haha i was like, really sad this weekend. because i knew your laptop had problems, and thus your chances of being online slimmed even greaterrrrrr.

and then i checked this blog soo much everyday praying for an entry from you! :P

haha when i just came online right now and saw that blonde headed icon i was like "ZomGz!!" :P hehe.

i am really sorry about your laptop, as you know.
but yes, i am thinking that a great thing that may come out of this is that you will end up getting that fancy new laptop you mentioned wanting before your current one became ill. ;]

Zoeyyyyyyy! cutest name everr. :]
i have a new kitten too mister! :] Cyber is his name. and I have picturesss &so much I want to tell you. =)

maybe i'll be able to write a blog later too, if not, i might just start it and post it after school one day this week...hopefully we wont have tons of work..if we have this testing going on.. [yeah i'm confused about that too :P]

cya later alligator. :)

Buddy Foote said...

TESTING!? What testing!? Better not be the PSSA. -_- I forgot how to write a thesis.

Anonymous said...

i've never seen a virus you can't recover from, but the temptation for a new one is high. i'm typing this on my tx1327cl in tablet mode. itsa very nice, as borat would say...