Friday, November 30, 2007

Seven Deadly Songs of the Week V.1

This is a new weekly addition to the blog that I’m hoping will become a pretty anticipated thing, much like Saturday Night Live, the next Weezer comeback album, the registered Independent Debate, and the next Window Shoppers Show. I will in these sections critique songs I randomly pick and explain the strong and weak points and then rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. I will first be strict on all aspects, and then the “My Rating” category will be what I rated it on my media player. With that being said here is this week’s list.


  1. Houston Calls – Bob & Bonnie

This is probably the best song off of their album “A Collection of Short Stories”. The first 10 seconds of this song let you know right away that this song is the real deal. It’s complete with a piano jingle accompanied by some feedback building up to the unleashing of the simple power chord. The vocals are good and catchy, from the memorable beginning “B-B-B-B-Bobbie and Bonnie…” to the last chorus. The chorus by the way is great.


Song Meaning: A relationship that’s lasted for awhile and wondering if the feeling’s are still strong.


Intro – 3

Verses – 3

Chorus – 4

Bridge – 3

Ending – 2

Intruments – 2

Lyrics – 4

Vocals – 4

Creativity – 2

Overall – 3

My Rating - 5


  1. Coheed & Cambria – The Running Free

This is a CD I bought the day I came out, No World For Tomorrow, the most recent Coheed release with the Running Free being it’s single. The vocals by Claudio Sanchez reach get higher than ever and his and Travis Stever’s guitars are on spot. This is also a great band to see live if you have the chance. Even if you never heard the song, by the end you’ll be singing along to its infectious chorus. You can tell this song was written as the album single but that’s fine.


Song Meaning: It is part of the Armory Wars story line, probably about escaping whatever has happened to him


Intro – 1

Verses – 2

Chorus – 4

Bridge – 2

Ending – 4

Instruments – 5

Lyrics – 2

Vocals – 5

Creativity – 3

Overall – 3.1

My Rating - 5


  1. The B-52’s - Private Idaho

This is a weird one. It’s the kind of music my dad liked when he was a teen. These are the same people who do the song “Love Shack”.

It’s pretty good if you’re in a good mood. The opening riff is catchy and you’ll be smiling by the “Woo-hoo’s” that the singer belts out. The female vocalist has a good voice too. The lyrics are a bit silly.


Song Meaning: Having a rocking party in Idaho!


Intro- 3

Verses- 2

Chorus- 2

Bridge- 3

Ending- 3

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 1

Vocals- 2

Creativity- 4

Overall- 2.5

My Rating – 3


  1. Oasis – Lyla

This is probably one of my least favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. It was the first single off of the comeback album “Don’t Believe the Truth”. It is a catchy song and no doubt you’ll know the chorus by the end. It defiantly isn’t the best this band has ever come up with (Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, anyone?), but at the same time it isn’t the worst (cough “Heathen Chemistry” cough). All in all it is a pretty good track. Liam Gallagher’s voice holds up after all these years as does Noel’s lyrics.


Song Meaning: …a song to a girl named Lyla


Intro- 1

Verses- 2

Chorus- 2

Bridge- 4

Ending- 2

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 3

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 2

Overall- 2.6

My Rating - 4


  1. Weezer – Say It Ain’t So

Alas, the Green Album. This is probably amongst the most well known Weezer tunes. It starts off rather light, and could make you not want to listen to it, but for the love of God, keep listening. The intro and first verse are decent enough but the chorus is really where you get the full effect of Weezer. The first chorus is good enough but it’s the last 2 chorus’s that make the song. The guitar screams through and you’re like…”HOLY SHIT!” It’s just good stuff. The bridge has kind of vague lyrics and rambling. Then comes the solo and final chorus. Mmm… good.


Song Meaning: I’m probably wrong but I believe that his girlfriend kills someone then ends up dieing herself.


Intro- 3

Verses- 2

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 4

Ending- 3

Instruments- 4

Lyrics- 2

Vocals- 3

Creativity- 4

Overall- 3.2

My Rating - 5


  1. Sugarcult – Daddy’s Little Defect

Buddy and I are both big Sugarcult fans. The song has a great intro. It is, however, a little bit cookie cutter pop-punk. It is catchy and infectious. The lyrics are not the best, the bridge and ending are good though. The music is safe, but good.


Song Meaning: Don’t lie to me or listen to what your dad says if you want to be my girl.


Intro- 4

Verses- 2

Chorus- 2

Bridge- 3

Ending- 3

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 2

Vocals- 3

Creativity- 1

Overall- 2.6

My Rating - 3


  1. Blood Brothers – Spit Shine Your Black Clouds

This is one of the better tracks off the last and sadly final Blood Brothers CD, Young Machetes. To me that album is a must buy. It is these Seattle noise-rockers at there very best. I would actually just assume noise-rock as the genre, it is in face almost impossible to categorize, and that is the great thing about them. The first thing you notice is the pulsing beat, followed by the unique voice of Johnny Whitney; I have always loved his high voice, as I did with the other lead singer Jordan Billie, his is a low drone. The screaming is controlled and very tasty. I love this track.


Song Meaning: A date gone horribly wrong.


Intro- 2

Verses- 3

Chorus- 2

Bridge- 2

Ending- 4

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 4

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 5

Overall- 3.2

My Rating - 5

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like this. :P I have high hopes for this new "special" and your first one was superb!:]

As I type this comment, I'm listening to each song on projectplaylist.com so I can give you my brief input since I tend to enjoy a lot of songs you mention. ;]

-I like Bob & Bonnie enough to add to my iPod, because it has that guy voice I loooveee, haha. :]

-I knew some Coheed would have to be included on this list. :] As I listen, you're right, the chorus is catchy!

-I couldn't find Lyla to listen to!:[

-Excuse me, but I'm a big Sugarcult fan too you guys! :P

-I think Abby likes/liked the Blood Brothers because their name and that song title is all too familiar. ;P The song sounds funny to me though, haha.

I think my favorite stands as the first song by Houston Calls. =)

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what are you talking about. haha. seriously i dont know anything about that. sorry if you find this comment is very annoying. haha

Rilla said...

I really don't have much to say because I don't know any of these songs. But you are sure giving detailed information lol.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard any of those songs.

Anonymous said...

The only song that interested me was Coheed and Cambria's. I saw them live earlier this month and I gotta say, it was pretty awesome.

Faith Bowie said...

I've got a situation with the concept of a song being unlistenable because it may or may not sound catchy, lol. I've got to look two of these up, woo hoo! I hate looking up music - too lazy - but I love the outcome. :D