Monday, April 16, 2007

Problem Solved: Runescape Fixed

If you had been paying attention to the shoutbox recently or read the passage in Caitlin's last blog entry that mentioned my problem, then you should know what terrible event had occurred to me these last few days. The problem: Runescape would not work on my laptop. Why? I'm not too sure. I believe it had to do with some factors, such as the multiple versions of Java that I had installed, something to do with Winsocks, and also some files in the system registry were defective. It may be all three, only one of the three, or none of the three at all, but I used those three to help me solve my problem.

The problem first started on Thursday, April 12. I was just north of Seers' Bank cutting the four maple trees located there for some firewood when I experienced some lag, then a freeze, and then I was logged out because my connection was lost. Acceptable, as it happens every now and then. But then the log-in screen was too lagging and the animations were skipping, causing my computer to go slow. At this point, I either closed the window or hit the back button, and then tried to load up Runescape again. However an obstacle stopped me from entering the world of Runescape again that day. The problem started at this point. The game window would not load as Java did not want to work.

The actions that I have taken from then to now are all scrambled up in my mind, and I would not be able to go through each one in chronological order. I ran spyware and virus scans, ran this one program that optimizes your computer to make the computer's health and protection greater (Fix-It Utilities 7 Professional), disk cleanup, system restores, deleting versions of Java other than the newest one (version 6), looking throughout the Java console and internet settings, and deleting Internet Explorer 7 (I guess it's known to cause problems). None of these helped. My father then stepped in to help, and he paid out thirty dollars for this program known as PC MightyMax, which is known to fix a lot of problems on your PC by fixing up the registry and other areas of the PC. Well, PC MightyMax fixed some problems, such as finally allowing Speedbit's Video Accelerator for YouTube to work, but it did not fix the problem of allowing Java to work. I thank my father for helping me with such a problem and for purchasing the program, as he tried a lot to help me fix my problem. However, he finally, in the end, left the problem for me to look at. I don't know which one helped Runescape, but I did two things at once that might've been the ultimate step for allowing Java to work again. First, while my father was at thr computer, he tried to delete the older versions of Java. Yes, I already did that, but after the multiple system restores we did the versions seemed to appear back. Well, problem: The versions in the Add/Remove Programs window from the Control Panel had 'fatal errors' when we tried to get rid of them. After my father was done, I went to 'C:\ > Program Files > Java' and deleted all the folders other than 'jre1.6.0_01'. Then, after looking at a troubleshooting topic at the official Runescape forums (thank you Dante for referring me to them to search for help) I read something about Winsocks (or something similar). Well, I did some quick research on Winsocks and discovered that it had to do with some programs connecting to a network (I may be wrong) and that sometimes they can malfunction. So I went and download this freeware program known as WinsockxpFix (only use this program if you have Windows XP) and after this program went through the Winsocks, it restarted the computer. Well, after the restart, Java and Runescape worked. Because I did those two things before a restart, I don't know which one did it. I would guess that the combination of PC MightyMax and WinsocksxpFix were the ultimate solutions to fixing the problem, but I may be wrong. I'm mostly always wrong.

I was actually going to quit Runescape if the problem could not be fixed, but thankfully we found the solution and I'm back and flying around leveling. I recently got levels in smithing, farming, hitpoints, firemaking, and very shortly I'm going to get a hunter level. Yes, life is once again good.

Today is a snow day. Yes, a snow day in the middle of the month of April. What happened to the April showers? Well, we did get some rain before the snow began to fall last night, but I don't see any possibilities of May flowers sprouting up anytime soon. I mean, for crying out loud, there's not even buds on the trees yet. This is a very screwy year. I was looking around Wikipedia last night at some articles that discuss the end of the world and looked upon the article on how Daylight Savings Time came much earlier this year and will last longer. Something like the 'Problem of 2007'. That explains why the times of the blog entries here at Buddy Foote's Blog v.2 are off, but shouldn't they have been fixed by now? Yes, I could manually change them myself but, I'm too lazy to type a few numerals in. I also was watching videos yesterday on the 9/11 Conspiracy on how the US government planned the attacks on 9/11/01 so that they could create the foundation to the first steps of world domination. I'm actually starting to believe this, as these conspirators bring up good points. Hell, if this is true, then we can all look at the moon landings as also being fake because the US just wanted to win the competition of landing on the moon first. That's pretty bad if we cannot feel safe in our own country because our own government is attacking us. I do agree that the United States does like conflict. Well, there's my random topics rapped up in a nutshell.

"Comment Those Keywords!"

"runescape: purpose of a red bird egg"

The ultimate purpose of the bird eggs: to waste three spaces in your bank. Yes, that's all they do. You can't trade them and there's no other purpose to them. Then why keep them? You never know what surprises Jagex may throw at us, and if something is released that has to deal with those bird eggs, then you'll hit yourself over the head with a frying pan for not keeping yours. Just keep them in your bank and someday a purpose will come about. I hope we can have pet birds.

"runescape hide n seek hiding spots"

Why does it have to be Runescape hide n' go seek? Why not be healthy and go gather your buddies and do it outside? I know why, because Runescape hide n' go seek is better! Well, if you know your hiding spots, of course. It's not like real life where you can hide in a bush, behind a tree, or in a ditch, but instead you're just standing around like a deer in a field during hunting season. I recommend you play in the city of Varrock, with the boundaries established so that you cannot leave the city walls at all. The city is filled with buildings, second-story houses, a large castle, rune essence mine, banks, sewer, etc. The city provides many hiding spots and is very large, meaning that you can have fun there for a few hours without boredom setting in. Other options can be the wilderness or Falador. The wilderness may be too large yet you run the risk of getting attacked which can bring a thrill (maybe make the rule that when you find your opponent that you must kill them) and Falador is just dull when it comes to hide n' go seek. You can also pick other areas of the game too, drawing an imaginary box around to play within. I would recommend a box including Draynor Maynor, Draynor Village, and the Wizard Tower in a case like this, and oh yes, Port Sarim. Lumbridge, without a doubt, is the worst location for a game of hide n' go seek. The castle is too tiny, there's not many buildings, and the forest is just too open. Well, there's my opinion.

"what can i eat in runescape 2 put up my fishing stats for a moment"

Without even looking this up, I'm going to say admiral pie and fishing potion can get the job done here. I think these are member-only, so if you're a free-to-play player, then sorry. You must level up to the fishing level you're seeking to temporarily be.

"runescape closing down"

Runescape probably won't close down for a long time. Unless the Gower brothers passed away or were severely injured, a terrorist attack occurred near their main location, Runescape's source code was sold to another company, or if Jagex began a new project better than Runescape that could rake in more cash would be the only assumptions I can think of for any case if Runescape servers were to go offline. All of these cases would be horrible. God bless the Gowers and Jagex -- I hope none of these happen.

"zezima's bank runescape"

Curiosity killed the cat, so please leave this Runescape player alone. Sure, we have pictures of other great Runescape players' banks like N0valyfe and search around Runescape Community and Tip.It Forums to find others, but Zezima is not fully opened to share his bank with others. If Zezima wanted to show you his bank, he would've by now. Actually, I think I recall from the Tip.It interview with Zezima that Zezima wasn't comfortable with sharing his bank as it could've brought risks to his account. I envy that man not because of his skills, supposed money and items, or because he's ranked number one in the high scores, but because he's the number one target for getting hacked and I want to know how he's able to keep his account so secure. I bet he owns a computer just for playing Runescape where he has no programs on it other than a browser, and just plays Runescape on there without going on sites or the whatnot. Actually that's false because he goes on IRC channels quite a bit. Anyway, everybody is after Zezima. My response: leave him be!


I'm done here. Have a good one.

No comments: