Sunday, April 01, 2007

Spanish Genius?

¡Hola mi amigos! I am going to try to revolve this entry around Spanish because I have an interesting little story to tell. Yesterday I spent four hours volunteering at the library in order to pick up a couple last hours and to get the needed signatures for this sheet I needed to get filled out to be considered for the National Honor Society. Speaking of that paper, I am feeling doubtful that they will pick me, this year anyway. I mean I have seen some of my friends around me who have a lot more activities to put down than I do. On top of it all we were asked to write a small paragraph concerning why we think we should be considered for membership. I wrote my little pargraph Friday night, and don't know if it sounds 'good enough.' I didn't dare to go on and on about "how wonderful I am and I do everything and want it sooo bad" (because that would be lying anyway :P), but instead simply stated why I think it would be pertinent to me and for that reason I hope they pick me. -shrugs- I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I am getting far off track now, so let's get back to the library. I arrived there around noon, and after a short conversation with one librarian found out that Sandy (my favorite person there) was pretty ill but had informed them of my coming anyhow. I was sad to hear she wasn't there since she was the one I wanted to talk to and have sign my paper, but everything worked out anyway. When she's not there, I feel as though whoever is assumes I know what I need to do and how to do it, which at first makes me feel a little uncomfortable. :P I then just went to the cart and started putting away all that was on it. (Thankfully I actually did know what I needed to do and how to do it!) :P Once the cart was empty, that boy Mark came down and was to take me up with him so we could yet again work on some kind of project together. The last few times I have been coming it seems I always end up doing some kind of arts and crafts project, which remained true this time. x) Mark and I had another door to decorate for spring/Easter. At first we were going to just make a bunch of constructed Easter eggs from colored paper, but he made me draw the circle which looked like a "dead pancake", and then when we went to color them he colored really messy so we were making fun of each other's horrible artwork until it was decided that whole idea wasn't going to work.

Inbetween that, or maybe it was just before we started coloring the eggs, Mark had to go eat lunch but on his way out he greeted this older man that I had seen like everytime I've been there. I remember the one day I was there I overheard that man talking to the librarian about how he is trying to learn yet another language, on top of him already being quite fluent in Greek. He was searching for a number of language books and recording tapes to listen to. Well it just so happens he was talking to Mark (I guess he's been there so often he's made friends :P) about how he just started to learn Spanish like three weeks ago, and he keeps mixing up Spanish with his Greek. I was standing there and I don't know why, or how, (as it's very unusual for a shy one like me to engage in stranger conversation) but I found myself nodding my head and then mentioned how I take Spanish when Mark told the man he takes French. Once I said I took Spanish the man showed me the book he was reading, which was filled with simple sentences, for example "El libro es azul." (The book is blue.) He was stumbling over pronouncing a lot of it, and since I knew I used to have trouble, but lately with this dialogue project I have been pronouncing a lot better, I tried to say it correctly for him and then translate it. It seemed to help him a little, and I gave him a few tips which he took in great stride. I said that if he knew how to correctly say the vowels, that ll is pronounced like a y, and h's are silent, then it might make it easier. He was like taking notes from what I was saying, haha it was interesting. He was sitting there saying the Spanish vowels over and over to get it stuck in his head. I had to wait for Mark to return so I kind of just stood around as that guy continued going over some Spanish. I guess being a bit bored, I told him some more Spanish tips I knew from school and when he asked how often I study Spanish I told him "You can never cram it!" Haha, which I hear about everyday in that class. Then he would randomly ask me a question or two, like what does this word mean, or this verb. I told him how there was a difference between ser and estar and what the difference was. I think he really appreciated the knowledge I was able to pass on to him, and quite frankly, I felt pretty good about myself being able to know a little something and put it to some use! =) The man thought I was a 'Spanish genius." which honestly I'm not because I am sure half the kids in my class could have told him what I did, but it was nice to be thanked and when he was leaving he said "Hasta manana" and so after I replied "Hasta luego" I thought of something better to say and replied "Buena suerte con espanol!" =)

It was a really neat little experience. ^^ I felt like a tutor or something. -shrugs- Anyways since the Easter egg idea didn't work out, once Mark came back we came up with the idea to make one giant flower for the door. I cut and drew the grass, the petals, and the leaves while he just had to make a straight stem and tape it all up. I think it came out wonderful! He did have to leave early though and I was left to finish taping it up, but I was anxious to get it done as it looked adorable. =) I have so much fun going to the library. I checked out this book called "Prep". It's a thick young adult novel I can't wait to dive into over this upcoming long Easter/Spring break! ^^

Before I left I wrote down some information about joining the library's Teen Advisory Board. My friend Justin is a member of it and he wants me to join. It sounds fun, it's more of like a group of local teens who run library-related fundraisers, meet once a month, and have fun outings and events. ^^ Last month when I helped with the little Dr. Seuss event many teens were there asking me if I was a member of "TABs" and I was confused. Now I know what TABs stands for, and it has caught my interest. The librarian was telling me all the ideas they have for this summer for the teens, like a movie night and camping and stuff since us kids have little places to hang out around here. That sounded fun, but I doubt any of my friends would want to check it out with me. :P Maybe they do..anybody want to? Huh? :P I told my mom about it when I came home because I don't go out and do stuff a lot, and if I was apart of something else and they did fun stuff and attended fun events then I would have something to do once in awhile. (: But most of the teens in it (that I aware of so far) are from another high school, except Justin, but he's younger than me, so I would only really consider it if somebody else would do it with me. They said I should ask my friends so we'll see, lol. xD

Well before I completely end this entry, I will write a little about Runescape. I played for a few hours this weekend. My brother wanted me to sell some amulet necklaces for him, which I did (even though he had blocked me and maybe I shouldn't have) but it's fun when I make a sale, haha. "Sell str ammy!" I yell continuously, hehe. Then I went and mined 712 rune essence in order to rune craft my way to level 30. ^^ I am level 26 right now though. When I was at the library this one boy was playing Runescape, and (again, miss sociable, like what came over my shyness that day haha) I went right on over to him and started a conversation about Runescape with him. I think he was like 12 or something. Anyways I go "oh my gosh hey my friends and I play Runescape too! What's your combat level?" He told me it was 38, and asked mine so I replied 42. Then he asked me what armor I wear, and I asked him what his favorite skills were and levels. It was neat, and I watched him in Al Kharid for a little while. He told me he was going to buy for members next month. I always think it's cool when I see someone playing Runescape at the library, and I almost always do. If patrons aren't on Runescape or some other research related thing I have seen them on, than they are on the worst website to ever exist, myspace. Lolz. xP

My finger is getting a little sore now, and I think I am going to go around my house and change all the calendars because today is the first day of April! Oh so that means it's April Fool's day huh? I woke up this morning to see that my brother had bought my mom and I a box of doughnuts for no apparent reason, which seemed highly suspicious. I mean my mom and I love jelly and apple filled doughnuts, and I thought Chase forgot about them since we haven't bought them in like what, a year? Plus he's gone to the store a million times and never got them.. I told my mom maybe he's playing a trick on us..although I wouldn't be sure what. :P Well until the next time I post, I hope everyone has a beautiful springy-Easter-bunny-filled week. (; "¡Adios!"

Radically Random...

I was searching the web and found an interesting statistic...

'Only 2% of the United States population has red hair. '

...and therefore if you know one, consider yourself lucky! xD

Click here to get more cartoon dolls like this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woah you accually talked to someone playing rs at the library.

sometimes i wonder what thier accounts are like lol.