Monday, May 28, 2007

Icy Tower

I was going to ignore the blog for the day and instead work on a Runescape crossword puzzle for it that I would put up tomorrow, but I figured that I have finals all this week and I may not have much time to post at all. Instead, I will do sort of a review on an addictive video game that has been abducting my life for the past week or so.

The game, known as Icy Tower, is a free game created by Free Lunch Design. In the game, you must maneuver two main characters, one being a white gangster-like character and the other a black disco boogieing man, up floors of a tower to try and get to the highest floor possible that you have the ability to. While jumping up the floors, you should try and pull off a large amount of combo jumps, which is jumping two or more floors at a time. By pulling off multiple combo jumps or by reaching a high floor, you will get a score. In reality, like your average arcade game, the goal is to get the highest score, but through a simple perspective, it's to get to the highest floor or to pull off the highest combo. At least those two are my goals. By getting to high floors, you can unlock new start floors. For example, if you get to floor 200, then the floor type that you saw from 100-199 will be unlocked so that when you choose it in the game options menu, that floor type will be seen from 0-99. However, the demand becomes higher as you become more advanced, as you will have to get to floor levels such as 300 or 400 to even be allowed to unlock more floor types. As for other rewards, I'm not aware of any, but there may be some. A cool feature with the game is that you can save a replay so that you can share an amazing in-game trial that you completed with friends. No more 'yea rights' with that feature. Also when loading a replay to watch, the game is installed with some example replays, one being an amazing one in which the player got to a floor level of 900+ with an humongous combo to follow up. I can only dream of being that good.

Icy Tower is somewhat of a fever that has been spreading throughout my school. Some like it, some don't. It depends on your attitude, ideals, and patience. Some people believe that the game is boring because the only thing you do is jump from one platform to another. However I find the thrill in not knowing how far I may make it this time playing, or what combo I may do.

I have a few suggestions for the game, however it should be a totally different version of the game and not the simple version we have now. Or even better, have modes you can choose from. One being 'Classic' mode and the other 'Expert' mode. In 'Expert', some of the platforms should move left and right or up and down, or maybe even at diagonal angles. This would make the game harder and more exciting for the people who find the current version to be boring, while at the same time offering the Icy Tower that us players love and enjoy today. I don't think monsters should be added (it would be too much like a Mario-type game) but instead some sort of original obstacles.

Well, there's my two cents on the five star game known as Icy Tower. Happy Memorial Day and have a good one.

No comments: