Friday, December 07, 2007

Seven Deadly Songs of the Week V.2.

This is a weekly addition to the blog. I will in these sections critique songs I randomly pick and explain the strong and weak points and then rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. Overall is the average of all ratings prior to it. I will first be strict on all aspects, and then the “My Rating” category will be what I rated it on my media player. With that being said here is this week’s list.


1. Fall Out Boy – Sugar We’re Going Down

I know that picking this and telling you I like it may make you hate me, but you’re just gonna have to deal with the fact that I like this band. Look past the members, look past the success, and maybe you will too. This is the song that started the craze. It has an unmistakable intro, followed by a nice sung verse by Mr. Stump. It then escalades little by little until it’s finally unleashed with the chorus. And no one seems to know what he says but I’ll clear it up. At the end of the chorus he says “Loaded God Complex, cock it and pull it. It’s a play on the fact it sounds like gun, saying he’s egocentric and she’s just making it worse. Just remember, it’s famous for a reason.

Song Meaning: Even if we don’t make it, let’s give it a try.

Intro- 4
Verses- 4
Chorus- 5
Bridge- 3
Ending- 4
Instruments- 3
Lyrics- 4
Vocals- 3
Creativity- 2
Overall- 3.5
My Rating - 5


2. David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust

One of my favorite glam rockers, David Bowie changes his style so frequently. I am a fan of how eccentric he is. This was one of his earliest/best songs. It has silly lyrics and a memorable guitar riff (*cough* Guitar Hero *cough* I hate that game *cough*) If you give this song a chance you really will love it.

Song Meaning:

Intro- 4
Verses- 3
Chorus- 2
Bridge- 2
Ending- 3
Instruments- 3
Lyrics- 4
Vocals- 2
Creativity- 3
Overall- 2.8
My Rating - 3


3. Joy Division – Dead Souls

One of my favorite kinds of music is the music from the late 70s and early 80s that was deemed by the music scene of the time as being Goth, and after The Cure, Joy Division is my favorite band from that time. The bass was a pivotal instrument; the lyrics were, for possibly the first time, the main focus. The only downside is that the music behind the words was sometimes weak. The singers often sounded sad, but that’s understandable, they weren’t gothic, they were just in touch with there feelings. The intro is long but great and you will notice the bass.

Song Meaning: It’s like the dead are calling me to join them.

Intro- 5
Verses- 2
Chorus- 3
Bridge- 1
Ending- 2
Instruments- 2
Lyrics- 4
Vocals- 2
Creativity- 5
Overall- 2.8
My Rating - 3


4. Madina Lake – House of Cards

Madina Lake is a band of two twins who paid to make this album with money they won on the shoe “Fear Factor”. They have there own brand of post-hardcore music. This band is original, you will instantly recognize that. The falsetto vocals on certain parts remind me of Muse. The best is the pick up into the amazing chorus. The music is great. Just listen to it, “You’ll be amazed.”

Song Meaning: I lie more than you know.

Intro- 2
Verses- 2
Chorus- 5
Bridge- 4
Ending- 2
Instruments- 4
Lyrics- 2
Vocals- 4
Creativity- 4
Overall- 3.2
My Rating - 5

5. Amber Pacific – Summer (In B)

You will love this song in the first 5 seconds. The drums in that time alone are unbelievable. Then when every other instrument kicks in the drums are still blasting ahead with what sounds like 2 double bass pedals. The vocals are great. I think the singer has one of my favorite voices and the song is a great love song. The first solo is good enough but then the drums are still the main driving force. This band is very fun live and I am a proud owner of a CD and a shirt. I love when it goes into cut time then the great solo. And when its just the singer that is eargasmic.

Song Meaning: I will always be with you.

Intro- 5
Verses- 3
Chorus- 3
Bridge- 4
Ending- 4
Instruments- 5
Lyrics- 3
Vocals- 4
Creativity- 2
Overall- 3.6
My Rating - 5


6. Angels & Airwaves – It Hurts

Ah, Angels and Airwaves, I was a Blink fan before they broke up so naturally I was skeptical about Tom Delonge’s new band, but it is good stuff. If you’re too ignorant to get past his voice then you’re really missing out. The intro kind of juggles you in the air until the repeating line “It Hurts It Hurts It Hurts” blasts you into hyperspace. You leave the blast floating along the chilled out verse when you realize just how cool this band’s sound is. When I first heard this song, I could not get enough. The chorus sends you even faster. No doubt you’ll be hooked by “Your best friend is not your girlfriend!” I really don’t think the magazines should have dissed this band like they did.

Song Meaning: Your best friend is not your girlfriend.

Intro- 3
Verses- 2
Chorus- 4
Bridge- 2
Ending- 4
Instruments- 3
Lyrics- 3
Vocals- 2
Creativity- 5
Overall- 3.1
My Rating - 5


7. Ride – Taste

One of my favorite genres is Brit-pop, and this is a GREAT Brit-pop song. It is mesmerizing and serene. It is in my opinion one of the best songs ever recorded. The first song you hear it, you will love it. The lyrics are good, the singing is good, and the music is amazing. The sound is so full. It’s a great song to listen to loudly when you are home alone. Give this song a try.

Song Meaning: I can barely remember how things used to be.

Intro- 4
Verses- 3
Chorus- 3
Bridge- 4
Ending- 4
Instruments- 4
Lyrics- 4
Vocals- 3
Creativity- 5
Overall- 3.7
My Rating - 5

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for v.2 :]

FOB = love. I don't care what anyone says. I still heart them and their music. :]

I think I've heard that David Bowie song before, because as it plays now off my computer, the beat & voice is familiar. xD

I liked the Madina Lake song a lot. :]

Aw, I adore Amber Pacific. :] Cute song. and "eargasmic", hmm..that's a neat word. haha.

Angels and Airwaves. :) I like them. I like how they sound. I can't help but listen to what they say so intently when I listen to a song by Blink or them. :] That song is being added to my iPod today ;]

Good job Joeyyy ^^

Anonymous said...

Wow, with the exception of Bowie, I haven't heard of any of these guys. Our taste in music is *really* different.

Christina said...

Ah, I am so in love with the first three songs you listed! And I'm going to have to give the others a listen.