Saturday, December 15, 2007

Seven Deadly Songs of the Week V.3.

This is a weekly addition to the blog. I will in these sections critique songs I randomly pick and explain the strong and weak points and then rate them on a scale of 1 to 5. Overall is the average of all ratings prior to it. I will first be strict on all aspects. The “My Rating” section has been eliminated seeing as I got made fun of for giving Fall Out Boy a 5. Whatever. Well, here we go.


  1. Reggie & the Full Effect – Apocalypse Wow!

“Lets get it on!!!” I love that hardcore intro to this song. I am a big Reggie fan. This is really good if you’re into rock music with a big keyboard sound. He doesn’t have the best voice or lyrics. But the music is rather great. The palm-muted chords are a little repetitive but that’s okay. A good song to get pumped up.


Song Meaning: Break-up song.


Intro- 4

Verses- 3

Chorus- 3

Bridge- 3

Ending- 4

Instruments- 5

Lyrics- 2

Vocals- 2

Creativity- 4

Overall- 3.3


  1. The Caesars – Jerk It Out

Haha, now this is a funny song. But it is still a good song. I mean with a name like Jerk It Out, what can you expect. This is a great song, it’s pretty catchy, and lets just face it, it has a funny subject. I remember I first heard this song on VH1 one morning when I was 14 and it was like 5 in the morning and I was like… “this is a cool song”


Song Meaning: Loving thyself, the right-hand-o-rama, marcy, you know, touching yourself.


Intro- 3

Verses- 3

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 4

Ending- 2

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 4

Vocals- 3

Creativity- 3

Overall- 3.2


  1. Vendetta Red – Shatterday

This is a little known song by a little known band. The chorus is the best part of the song. The lyrics are about the end of the world. My favorite line is “When you bit the bullet I held the smoking gun”. Great line. I also enjoy the a capella part of the bridge.


Song Meaning: The end of the world.


Intro- 2

Verses- 2

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 5

Ending- 2

Instruments- 2

Lyrics- 4

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 3

Overall- 3.1


  1. The Sound of Animals Fighting – Act II: All is Ash or The Light

The intro of this song is great. Its like heavy ska. Then the vocals are great too. The one voice is low the other is high. They compliment eachother nicely. The Sound of Animals Fighting is a supergroup with members form RX Bandits, Chiodos, and a crapload of others. This is my favorite song by them.


Song Meaning: It’s part of a story.


Intro- 4

Verses- 2

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 2

Ending- 1

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 3

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 4

Overall- 3


  1. Midtown – You Should Know

I am a big fan of Midtown and Cobra Starship. I’m positive that a few Cobra fans have never heard of Midtown, but they have the same singer. The song begins and you hear Gabe’s voice and it may sound familiar. The chorus is the best part. I actually really like how he stutters and says “Trust-Trust the ground”. Midtown is a phenomenal pop-punk band. I also love when in the bridge he yells “The truth is you’re not just emo now!” I love that Microsoft Word doesn’t view emo as a word. If you like Cobra Starship, you’ll like this.


Song Meaning: I would never let you down.


Intro- 2

Verses- 3

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 3

Ending- 3

Instruments- 3

Lyrics- 3

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 2

Overall- 3


  1. Reel Big Fish – Valerie

Woot! Reel Big Fish. This is my second favorite ska band of all time, first being Less Than Jake. I think the singer/guitarist, Aaron Barret, is one of the best modern rock guitarists. I have a live DVD of these guys and they are just absolutely hilarious. This is off of there album “Cheer Up”, which is a great album. I would defiantly look into this band if you never did so yet.


Song Meaning: Its actually about there old manager named Val.


Intro- 3

Verses- 3

Chorus- 5

Bridge- 3

Ending- 5

Instruments- 4

Lyrics- 2

Vocals- 4

Creativity- 3

Overall- 3.5


  1. New Found Glory – Ballad For The Lost Romantics

I am a big New Found Glory fan. And this is one of there first songs, and by listening to the quality, it’s easy to tell. Some people don’t like the singer’s voice, I personally could care less if he sounds like his nose is clogged, I just thing he’s good for the song.


Song Meaning: I’m tired of falling in love.


Intro- 3

Verses- 2

Chorus- 4

Bridge- 3

Ending- 3

Instruments- 2

Lyrics- 4

Vocals- 2

Creativity- 3

Overall- 2.8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of these songs before, but then again, I'm barely into the music scene nowadays!

Anonymous said...

I have honestly never heard of these specific songs before. I like the idea of doing a review thought - great idea!