Friday, April 07, 2006

Need RAM?

Who needs RAM? I need RAM. I need to upgrade my new laptop so badly that it's not even funny. Honestly, when I try to even just play Runescape on my laptop in which Runescape is a Java-based game that hardly even touches your computer's RAM, it goes slow, the window may turn white, my computer may lag badly, etc. I know many people experience this because there are still old computers sitting around connected to the network (God bless Caitlin's old computer tower) but still, I cannot handle the 'lagieness'. On most cases I'm okay. For example, when I was training on the creatures in the cages at the Ardounage Zoo with my rune hally on Runescape (in which I sold the hally for 105k) and my computer lagged, I didn't mind. Being that the monsters were behind cages, they couldn't lay a finger on me. The only things that would hurt me would be random events or verbal harassment. But now that I'm on to training with my dragon longsword on moss giants in which they can sometimes deal 6's on me in damage, I just can't have my program going crazy on me like it is. I argue with myself whether the problem may be SwiftSwitch or not. I don't know, but there sure is no way I'm playing Runescape on a normal web browser such as Firefox or AOL. Now imagine if I was in the wilderness on Runescape, maybe doing Heroes' Quest, or something where your game has to be in contact with the rest of the Runescape world and my screen just went crazy on me, turned white, program had to urgently be closed, etc. Then that's called being screwed. I can't have that happening, so therefore I need to upgrade my ram. I mean it's only about 256 MB...

Of course this may sound highly logical but my desktop has much more RAM than my laptop yet that can still go slow, but not all of the time. I played Runescape on it today, fighting the moss giants on the small island northwest of Brimhaven and getting both good exp and drops, talked on Google Talk, and had my mother's AOL program running in the background. I couldn't even imagine doing that on my laptop. AIM on my laptop is the killer really, however I'm on Google Talk three-fourths of the time. At least Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 worked well on here, only going crazy once and for a few seconds when another damn AOL message popped up wanting to download stuff to my core drive. I'm not letting AOL anywhere near my system files! I heard they can really screw over your PC with all of the junk they implant into your computer. However with a large majority of computers coming with AOL already on it, that means it's hard to find a pure and new computer, right? I'm probably most likely wrong. Oh well...

Also Google Talk had a small little update in which you can put 'avatars' near your name in both your contact list and your IM conversation. Pretty interesting I think. Too bad .gif's don't work on it though. I mean sure, they open and are visable, but the actual animation doesn't occur. I advise that you check that out. I told Caitlin about it today and after she reinstalled Google Talk, she really liked the nifty feature, and so do I. Plus I saw that Drake too has his signature picture up on there. I was practically on Google Talk all day. After playing Runescape for a few hours, I slowly converted over to Google Talk in which I talked to Caitlin for the rest of the day on it. I was searching through my computer files and found a lot of .wavs and some random stuff from some IM conversations I had saved that I shared. What an entertaining night it was.

With this new pellet burning stove we have now, all of the neighbors and any passerbys, whether they be on foot or in a vechile, have been stopping at our house knocking on the door. Why? Because the living room can be seen from main street and there's this vent-like pipe that comes out of the wall to the outside, and sparks come out of it from the stove when it's on. So we had concerned neighbors and random people knocking on the door saying that our dryer vent is sparking. Honest to God, that is a big dryer vent then! Plus our dryer is right in the living room! Yep, sure it is. We like to all be together when we do the laundery in the family room. People have been phoning us up, knocking, and practically just driving us crazy. At least it's nice to know that people care about us.

Anyway, two different people knocked on the doors today. The first one was when I was playing Runescape still and my grandmother was still sleeping and my parents went shopping at Honesdale. I was in the bathroom when I heard a knock at the back door. I peered out the small window in our bathroom which views the driveway and saw nobody's car there, as I thought this knock might've come from a sister, my brother, an aunt, etc. however there were no cars there, just my father's brown car parked. So after being done in the bathroom, I looked out the kitchen (back door) window and saw nobody so I just shrugged and went on fighting moss giants. Then later on while still probably playing Runescape, I heard another knock but this time coming from the front door. Being that I hate the outside world, I ran to my grandmother to inform her of these intruders in which she was in the progress of making me a good ol' peanut butter and banana sandwich. I went to look out the parlor window (a.k.a. room with the damn stove) and saw a car parked in front of our house with the blinkers on. Turns out it was a young couple who wanted to inform us that our dryer was sparking and thought they should be nice to stop and tell us. Well thank you for your concern but for crying out loud, you're the 100th customer! Congradulations! You win a pat on the back! Too late, others won before you. You're the weakest link, good-bye. Thank God the warm weather will be coming and therefore the stove will be off.

Later on I learned that the first knock were the cops. For crying out loud, the cops! My sister's other grandmother told my mother as she was driving down main street and saw a cop car with its lights on parked right in front of our damn house. Geez, if I wasn't in the bathroom at the time and answered the door and saw a cop standing there, I'd be like, "I didn't do it! Honest to God, Officer, you have to believe me! I did not stalk my pre chem teacher as she was walking her dog through the alleyway and throw eggs and boxs of Jell-O at her! Honestly!" Seriously, if that cop was there when I opened that door, I'd be like, "Hello Officer. I'd drunk. See ya later," and then shut the door in his face. That would give him something to think about. Maybe open the door and say, "Hey Officer. What's going on? Hey, hey, your eyes looked glazed. Oh Officer! Have you been eating doughnuts!?" The joke goes something among those lines -- I heard it from Emily. But sheesh, I've got the cops after me now. And do you know the factor that really stinks about all of this? Just across the street to the left and a little bit down the road is the fire house. Yes, the big place where they keep the firetrucks. Somebody is going to call frickin' 911 and say our house is on fire. I'm waiting for that day. We'll have firemen barging through the door trying to get us out of the house. And you know the bad thing about this? Well, worse. This is all crying wolf. If this house ever catches on fire (and I hope to God it doesn't), then when everybody sees the huge flames coming out of the side of the house near the pellet stove's vent they'll just say, "It's okay, hun. It's just their stove. Those damn rich folk." Yep...that'll happen.

Well, no videos but I'll be sure to get them up shortly. Maybe tomorrow, you never know. I have three tests to study for and nothing else. Okay weekend. Dan might come over so we can start building our motor for pre chem in which I never discussed that assignment here (or at least I don't think I did) but I don't really intend to because my sight is all blurry right now. Plus I think I typed up enough. Mr. Big Chief was today however if you never went to Lakeland Jr/Sr High School, then you won't know what it is. It's just some show where some senior guys show stuff up, provide some comedy, and then all next week during Spirit Week we have to pay to vote for them in which every penny is one vote. Yep. Have a good one.

And 13 days as in 19 minutes until the semi. Can't wait. Night.

2 comments:

Jenifer said...

Are you 4 serious??? The cops really came to the house....I bet mom % dad are regretting putting that pellet stove in , lol... @ least mom gets lot of visitors now, I am sure that she <3*s that...lol, glad to see that you posted another blog though, I am going to post one soon, entitled, "does what happen on reality shows really happen in reality"....oh well byez....have a good day!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Steve! Hahaa omigosh this was a really cool entry! :) Parts of it I found way tooo hilarious and my family sitting out in the other room probably wondered why I was laughing extra LoUd :P :P It also always makes me smile when my name appears more than once!! -smiles- :) :) Hehe last night was funny, too ^^

Wow..about the stove problems xP Yeah, you brought up a good point though, I'd be worried like if there was a real fire then any previously concerned neighbors would figure it's no big deal again :O

Yay! 13 days!! Can't wait to go with you :)