Friday, February 09, 2007

Bad Days -- Fiasco At School

I can always tell before being wide awake whether my day ahead of me will be good or bad. The 'bad luck' sign that is my own created tradition is if I wake up five minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off. I don't know if this happens to all people, but do you ever wake up randomly during the middle of the night and sometimes look at the time? I do, and most of the time I'm relieved when my alarm clock reads three or four in the morning, because I know that I can relax for a few more hours and sleep. Well, whenever I randomly wake up and I read 6:10 (My alarm goes off at 6:16 [don't ask why that very minute]), I know right off the bat that this day is going to be a bad day. And 75% of the time that's true. I hate that feeling too, it's the worst ever. Just to wake up thinking for no absolute reason, "Hopefully it's only four and I can get two more hours of sleep," and to see that instead I have six more minutes. The only thing I do is go back to sleep and hope that time stops. The worst was once when I randomly awoke at 6:15. I can't recall if that was a bad day or not, but I can recall that I did fall back asleep for that minute, and the alarm scared the hell out of me.

Today I randomly woke up at 6:10 and thought, "Shit, I only have six more minutes until I have to get up." I did fall back asleep, but with the feeling that today was going to be a bad day. And just to tell you right now, it did turn out to have some bad qualities to it, and most of them were school-related.

I woke up and my mother was already up downstairs. She told me that I didn't have to take a shower because it was freezing in the house, so I gladly took up that offer and went upstairs and played Runescape on my laptop like I do on most usual school morning, earning an extra ten minutes on it today (I normally take ten minute showering taking periods and then have twenty minutes to play). I thought, "Geez, maybe today will be good after all." Honestly though, what could be better? I was almost 70 firemaking on Runescape and logged out with only about 7k more exp to level up. Nobody bothered me at the maple trees in-game other than a guy who asked if I wanted to buy his pantaloons, so I earned pretty fast exp there this morning. After logging out and shutting my laptop, I realized that my usual morning pattern has been screwed up because I didn't take a shower, and I became tense and nervous. Normally after I take a shower, I put on clean socks and a white t-shirt, and I brush my teeth and put deodorant on. Then I can exclude all those later when I'm getting ready for school, and have more time to spare without worrying about missing the bus (even though my bus stop is exactly across the street from my house). Well, I was nervous because I had to throw all those on, quickly brush my teeth, and then get dressed for school like regularly. I get extremely screwed up if I don't follow patterns. A while ago my English teacher had us read a poem and it had to do exactly with the idea of patterns, and how as humans we mostly do the same things over and over again which turns into a pattern, or what some call a routine. And that is exactly true as I had found out this morning. When I was finally standing over at my bus stop, starring across the street at my house, did I realize that today may be a bad day after all.

The first half of my day at school, however, was good. In cultures we simply had to read an article on ethanol and write a four paragraph summary on it, which I can easily achieve. Then in computers we had a sub, but Jesse and I actually didn't fool around and play games but instead actually worked together on our projects. Spanish was mostly filled with "dog stories" (inside joke). And then SAT Prep Math we went over a practice test that we had to do and in English we had a free period. Lunch was great too, and I had two slices of bacon and tomato pizza, and a bottle of water. Math was okay, and Josh, Matt, and I had worked together on the even problems that we have to do for homework. Safety education was even good, and I just sat there mindlessly listening to the teacher's stories about this or that, and some of the gray area (inside joke). Then came gym, and my day suddenly went downhill.

I discovered that the dancing instructor was here today, and already that changed my day from good to bad. Did you discover a pattern yet? My day went from bad to good to bad to good and now to bad again. Anyhow, I'm not a dancing fellow. The only time I ever got into a dancing mood was at the 2006 semi-formal, and I was in pain for weeks afterwards. But dancing at school is decent. The last time we danced was fun, because it was more of a group dance that we did, where a triplet danced. But today we had to swing and have only couples. I didn't have a dancing partner at first because there's more men in our gym class than women, and I was actually quite thankful that I was able to sit out. Then, the teachers somehow got us back in. At first I was dancing with Nichole, and then later on in the class we had to switch partners and I danced with some unfamiliar faces. Then I was out again (yipee!) and was sitting on the bleachers when I looked at my watch. We only had ten minutes left to class and there was the dance instructor going on with teaching another dance. I wasn't nervous at first, because I had hope that somebody would realize what time it was and stop the whole process sooner or later. Well, that sooner or later never came.

We had five minutes left until the bell for the end of the day rang, and the freaking dance instructor was putting on the music for another dance. So here I am, sitting there with a group of other men, waiting impatiently for this guy to stop everything and say, "Well, your class is almost over so at the wish of your gym teachers, you can go get your clothes." Well, he didn't say that until we had only a minute left, maybe a little less. Now, I have been paranoid about missing the bus ever since I entered this school in 7th grade, and only when I realized what time it was, and how far I had to go and come back to grab my bus was, did reality strike me and say, "Y'know what little man. I think it's time that you missed that little yellow bus and experience the horror of being left behind and forgotten." As the dance instructor was telling us useless knowledge about some video when we had only that minute left, I started to slowly creep my way toward the locker room. When he released us, I quickly dashed toward the locker room, swerved around a corner, and flew to my locker. This is where my day gets a bit worse. I opened the locker, grabbed my clothes, and left it open for my locker partner. My locker partner, Matt G., was walking in as I was running out and he tried to hold me back, joking around, and due to my hidden paranoid trait of missing a bus and my secret anger issues, I knocked him down and continued on. I felt bad though, and I looked back and saw him on the floor, trying to get up as others were stampeding into the locker room. I couldn't stop to help, however, and I only had about three seconds until the bell rang. I walked to the doors of the gym and as soon as I did, the bell rang. Time to go home.

As I walked briskly down the main hallway toward my locker, I felt bad that I did such a thing to Matt, and guilt struck me like a train. I was at my locker, getting my backpack and coat out when Corey, the real Foote, was already ready and tried to talk to me. I ignored him, however, as I wasn't rushed anymore to get to the bus but was instead reflecting on the action I have carried out to Matt. I was walking back down the main hallway toward my bus when I saw Matt limping toward his locker. I went up to him and he was angry at me, and wouldn't talk to me much. I simply said "Sorry" as I truly was, and I had nothing else to say other than that, and I walked away.

I was sitting by myself on the bus ride home reflecting deeply in thought on what had occurred today, including the damn dance instructor and what I did to Matt. Most of that bus ride doesn't even seem like it existed to me. It's just a total blur in my head. I remember looking up and we were already at Jermyn and pulling away from one of the bus stops. I realized that I was further up on Main Street than I usually am on the bus, and after reality yet again hit me, I then realized that the bus stop that the bus was pulling away from was mine. I stayed calm and knew that the bus made a complete loop back up near my house anyway, and thought that I would enjoy the extra ride. However, I wasn't familiar with all the bus stops that existed down this way, and I wanted to know the closest one to my house. I turned around and got Matt B's attention and asked, "What's the nearest bus stop to my house?" It's pretty ironic as my usual bus stop is directly in front of my house, and I don't even take ten steps and I'm inside the warmth of my home. Matt just looked at me, and said, "You missed your bus stop?" Some of my remaining friends on the bus laughed at me and I just joined in on the laughter and said that I was sleeping and missed my stop. I found out that the closest stop was approximately two blocks away from my house and was on Main Street. When that stop came, I got off and started to walk to my house at a fast pace. Why? Because I was wearing shorts in four degree weather! I usually never change after gym class, and definitely couldn't today as I had mere seconds to quickly grab my clothes and run out afterwards. I must've been a sight -- walking down Main Street bundled up with a warm winter coat, a hat, and shorts. With the luck I was having today, I was afraid to cross the street to get to the other side in fear of getting hit by a car. Thankfully, I made it safely to the other side.

Up until now, my day has shifted gears back into 'good mode'. Knock on wood. However I have been upstairs in my room on my laptop since three and it's seven already, so there's not much bad that could happen to me. Knock on wood. As you can see, I'm a pretty superstitious fellow. I need a lucky rabbit foot and a four leaf clover right now to save myself from doom. I'm actually afraid to play Runescape anymore tonight. With my luck, my dragon woodcutting axe head will fly off the handle and then some random event will teleport me away, or I'll lag and log out. Knock on wood. I should actually knock on wood in reality other than just typing it...

Well, I had a rough day, and this weekend isn't going to be too relaxing. I have an English essay to write, a huge Spanish essay test to study for on the Spanish author Cervantes, and I have some math homework to do that'll probably result in me banging my head off of the wall. At least I have Don Quixote to read! Hopefully you'll hear from me again this weekend. If not, bad luck got to me.

Now I just need to remember to turn my alarm off for tomorrow morning. Ah, Saturday.

Picture of the Day

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Have a good one.

No comments: