Thursday, February 01, 2007

Wow! What a Game

It's the normal thing to do, you know? In computer class it's the same sights over and over again as you look around the room. Some people have Microsoft Word or Excel up doing their work, and others are on the internet or are playing free online video games. I'm sort of in between these two different groups of people. I'll have my work up and I'll be doing it while at the same time glancing over every once in a while to watch my neighbor (no names will be mentioned due to privacy) play some games. He'll search the internet high and low for the best video game sites that aren't blocked by the internet security in the school. Some games like Funky Trucks or Mini Putt I'll play with him (mostly when there's a sub or we have a free day), but otherwise I'll stick with getting my work done, as I'm slow doing it anyway. The other day my computer neighbor found a game that interested me, but after I tried playing it yesterday, I realized how much I stink at games and should stay with the simple point-and-click games like Runescape. It was a game titled "Wow! What a Race". It consists of about four to five little colored cars racing on cleverly designed tracks. Well, upon the first time playing this game, he mastered it. Me? I was lucky to get a bronze metal in the game. But that's not the whole point of this post. The point is that I wanted to create a racing game just like "Wow! What a Race" and I was influenced by the track designs and the way the game was played. I spent one day in my double study hall periods just designing tracks in my "General" tablet for the game, and came up with some innovative ideas such as items that were obtained almost in the same fashion as in the Mario Kart series, but the ideas were new and different -- besides a few. I told my friend that I was going to create this game and that he would be the first to play it (for a sum of $5 of course -- a man needs to make some money).

The other day I was fooling around with Game Maker and created a simple track design in Microsoft Paint. Of course it was going to look like shit because I can't draw for my life. I then designed a car and created other multiple cars by just changing the colors. Then I got to the point where I had to create events. Well, I can create events just fine and dandy in game makers like RPG Maker XP, but I just cannot understand the concepts covered in Game Maker. I created an event where the blue car I made just randomly booked off the screen -- not the result I wanted. I tried in the past to create games, but my intelligence level didn't match the requirement to use such a game maker that most ten-year olds have mastered. I'm going to try a different game maker that I found online while in computer class and e-mailed the link to myself, but I've just been too lazy to actually go and download all the individual files in the download section of the site. I'll tell you this right here and now though: I will create this game I have dreamed up in my head called "LC Racer". The tracks that I have designed on paper are pretty amazing, but I want to actually see them in a game. That's the problem with me. I'm more creative than I am practical with smarts. I have already dreamed up the plots of ten different books that I want to write after I graduate college, but will I ever have the wisdom to do it? I don't know, but I hope by then I'll develop myself mentally enough to be able to get my ass off of Runescape and do something productive with my life. I didn't even do my biology homework because I sped through my math and English just to log into Runescape. Well, I didn't know how to do sex-linked traits anyway...

The point is: I want to create a video game that people will play and exclaim, "Wow! What a game!" It's going to take a lot of hard work, long hours, studying, dedication, and guts to do it, but it'll be done ten years from now. Hopefully. I was actually hoping for it to be released by March so that my computer neighbor will have something to do if the internet was ever blocked.

Oh well, random ramblings. Here's your special:

Picture of the Day



And by the way, here's pictures of my car and track for my "game".




Have a good one.

No comments: