Thursday, February 08, 2007

Telemarketers

At the age of sixteen, you wouldn't expect a teen to be pestered by noisy telemarketers and random people calling me about some ski trip or the Bank of America, but of course it does happen to me. I have owned my own cell phone now for about one to two years and I never had this problem until it got bad late 2006. I keep on receiving all these unknown phone calls, with unlisted numbers or some corny numbers like 666-6666, and mostly I'll just open my cell phone and close it. Sometimes when Craig is over, we'll open the phone and say something or fool around with the caller's mind. Honestly, every day after I come home from school I'll have one to six unanswered calls on my cell phone, and then I'm pestered with the annoying beeping because there's these calls on there. These people aren't calling to address me, however, and are calling and looking for a Megan. The very first week I had my cell phone, I would be getting voicemails from some business guy or a friend of Megan's and I found it pretty funny and had a good laugh about it, but this is just getting ridiculous. And I'm not changing my cell number. It took me about three months to memorize it correctly, and also I sort of like the pranks I can pull on the people who call me.

It appears that some Megan had this cell phone number before me then. I found it funny one day when Craig was over and the phone rang and he answered it. Some woman with an Asian accent was saying, "Hello, is Megan there?" and Craig said clearly, "No, this phone doesn't belong to Megan anymore." This this lady kept on saying afterwards, "Do you know her number?" and Craig kept on replying with "No." Finally we got sick of her and hung up. Even after that day, wouldn't you think that these same people would put two and two together and realize that this phone no longer belongs to Megan and that they should stop calling me? No. The same number called back the next day, and every single day afterwards. One day I'm sitting upstairs on my laptop playing Runescape, minding my own business when my cell phone rings. Who is it? Just guess -- the same damn telemarketers. I opened the phone and put the cell phone next to my laptop's speakers. I was cutting down maple trees in the game, so this person on the other line was hearing the noise of my character on Runescape chopping the trees down. Suddenly the tree fell down and made that loud noise, and then right away this lady on the other side said, "Hello?" I then hung up and had a good laugh.

Am I mean to these people? I don't think so. We already tried explaining to one of them that Megan no longer owns this cell phone number, yet I'm still bombarded with calls. This is a useless battle that I cannot win, but I can make the fight bitter right back at them. All I need is a soundboard and then I'm good.

My sudden writing motivation that I had suddenly just decreased in size, so I'm going to end this blog entry now with the following message: Stop calling me! Call me again and you'll earn a freaking bomb threat, then maybe you'll stop calling! Can I get in trouble for that...because they called me first...

Picture of the Day

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(Botanreaper2 and I)

Have a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try this ... I worked for me.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

You can put all your phone numbers in and they aren't supposed to call anymore. Of course if it just some jerk pestering you it won't stop that, but telemarketing calls should be eliminated.