Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Runescape During School

A week from today and the summer for all students in my school district is offically over. Backpacks will be loaded up with school supplies as we march to our bus stops or drive our cars to school. For the next nine months, we will be bombarded with quizzes, tests, homework, studying, oral presentations, writing assignments, SAT preperations, algebra problems, studies of world cultures, biology stuff, and anything else that involves being stressed and worried about school. For every new school year, I am presented with many problems. These problems normally aim at geting used to the new teachers we have, and their homework, test types, if they're nice or mean, and whether they can actually teach or not. Once these problems are sorted out, which normally takes the whole first month or two of school, then the rest of the school year mostly glides by. Unless, however, you have one of those mean teachers who can't teach for the life of them and have the hardest tests and gives more homework than you ever had before in your school career. Then these teachers you must worry about for the whole school year. Even though teachers are only human beings just like you and me and every human being is unique and make their own mistakes, I swear some teachers just take advantage of their power of dominating over the students. They're older and they have the authority to boss around their students. I'm not saying 'boss' as in any bad means, but the same way as your boss gives you work to do at your job, therefore bossing you around. But some teachers also have their snapping points, where the stress of having to grade hundreds of papers, teach the same lessons day after day year after year, and having to put up with the bullshit of students who can't give a damn about school will cause a good teacher to go bad. With my desire of one day becoming a teacher (a computer teacher to be exact), I can sort of read teachers and their personalities and what to expect for the rest of the school year from them. If I find a teacher nice and likeable from Day One, they automatically become one of my favorite teachers. The teachers that I have my if's about on the first day, I try hard to either try to understand them or either suck up to them so that I'm on their 'Good List'. If the whole class gets in trouble, then he/she might put me as an exception. And as of yet, I have not failed to do this.

I keep on asking myself this following question and it bothers me, even though I should be worrying about more important topics. This question is, "What am I going to be doing on Runescape during the school year?" All last year during 9th grade I played Runescape and got myself to mostly where I am today. Runescape didn't affect my grades either, and if I happened to get a bad grade, I neglected myself to not play Runescape and study harder. Even though I played Runescape during the whole year, I happened to get the first rank out of all the students in my class, with a final yearly average of about a 100.600. When my mother goes on about trying to get rid of Runescape (she claims I spent my whole summer on the computer playing it, but this was mostly caused because I don't have a tan), I try to tell her that I played it all last year and got wonderful grades and 1st in the class. This being said, Runescape doesn't really affect my school grades. When I have homework to do, I don't go on the computer and do it. Or in the other case senerio, I might play Runescape for a half hour or hour right after school if I only have a little bit of homework or a small quiz the following day. Now that I think about it, I may have a lot more homework this year. Why? Last year I had a class that was a branch off of music where we watched movies and took very, very easy quizzes and tests concerning them. You never really had to pay attention to the movies because we reviewed them afterward and even got a sheet with terms on it that we defined together as a class. Our teacher was cool, Mr. Santoro, whose last year is this year and he's retiring, and he couldn't really give a damn if we did a homework assignment during his videos as long as we looked up every once in a while to see what was going on. Plus, he wouldn't start class until twenty minutes after the bell to start the period rang. I did most of my homework that I got in the morning that day (English, math, home econimcs, speech) during that class, thus not having to be bothered with it when I went home, therefore more time to play Runescape. Not having that class this year, I may have more homework than on average last year. Plus, I think we have the same amount of study halls or less as last year, which was only about one in our six day schedule.

This worries me as my addiction to Runescape has soared over the summer, being my first full summer to ever have the game, and in members. I got members last year in October, during the school year. I'm afraid that I'll be sitting there in school during an oral lesson while daydreaming about what I'm going to do next in Runescape. I do that at night sometimes, trying to conclude what I have acheived that day in Runescape and where I'll find myself the following day.

During the school year, I'll doubt I can do many things, such as training combat, slayer, and doing challenging quests, such as Shilo Village, Monkey Madness, etc. I can mostly only do skills that involve very little clicking, where I can maybe do homework on my top bunk while having Runescape playing on my laptop in the background. These skills would include fishing, cooking, woodcutting, and farming. Farming would be the perfect skill to get up high during the school year too. Why? Go on Runescape right after school and plant herbs using super compost in all four of the full farms, log off, do homework/study, and log back on in about 75 to 80 minutes to pick the herbs and then replant. I suggest doing the Ghosts Ahoy! quest to use this method like I did so you can use the ectophial teleport to get to the full farm in the Canifis area quickly. Using this method will get both herblore and farming up, two skills that many hate, but you can do these two skills while being offline. Also I'll be getting construction up during the school year. To get money, I'll be chopping magic trees while studying/doing homework and then when I get the log amount I need, I'll sell them and use that money for construction. I wish I got the dragon axe before prices soared after the recent update of the axe now being better than the rune axe, that way I could probably get magics a lot faster. However with faster magics, prices might go down. That would be good if I got 85 fletching then and bought the logs, natures, and flax and made the magic longbows and alched. I need to get construction up though, because my construction level is only 1, my only skill not on the high scores.

Enough about Runescape and school. Let's talk about the closing days of my summer, shall we? Yesterday, I went with my father and two good friends Corey and Craig to Camelbeach Waterpark, located in the Pocono Mountains near Tannersville. It was a great day there and we had without a doubt a lot of fun. Even my father enjoyed it, going on three different waterslides. He went on the blue Triple Venom tube and two of the single tube slides. He mostly enjoyed the Adventure River and just the normal swimming pool. Craig, Corey, and I went on the Triple Venom a few times (I went on the red and blue tubes only, not the middle one), Titan: The Ultimate Waterslide, Checkered Flag Challenge, Vortex, Spin Cycle, all of the tube slides including the two triple tube slides, the Adventure River, and some other slide where you rode down on a blue mat. We went into the wave pool (the Kahuna Lagoon) most of the time, enjoying it much. We didn't try out the Flow Rider though, but at the end of the day we sat down drying off and watching people wipe out on the Flow Rider. The weird thing is that I think I saw the Asain girl from the billboard advertising the Flow Rider there doing the Flow Rider. At the very end when we were about to leave, Corey, Craig, and I got our shirts and shoes on and went on the Scenic Chairlift Ride that went all the way up to Cameltop, the top of the mountain. The weird thing about Camelbeach is that it's set on a ski resort mountain. The chairlift was the ride I was looking forward to the whole time since I got there and saw it. Corey and Craig were paranoid about the height (and so was I a bit but I hid the fear) at first, but it was more enjoyable when we saw three doe and just laughed and talked, then Corey and Craig started saying hi to everybody on the other side as they were going up the mountain and we were coming back down. We were lucky because the ride was about to close just a little while after we got on. Overall, it was a great day. Even though I really hurt my back on the Vortex falling into the six feet plus deep pool, the bottom of my feet are sore from walking/running on pavement barefoot, and Corey fell off a tube on a tube slide fooling around, banging his head and the sight of him coming out of the encloused slide with the tube following him (how the tube got behind him is a wonder), is in the end all just a laughing matter.

Now I shall close this entry with a link. The other day I was writing for three hours one night and then another three hours when I awoke. What was I writing? I was working on redoing my old marketplace suggestion for Runescape, that I posted on Runescape Community back in the day. I added a lot more and it's much more of an enjoyable read. Please read it here today. I hope you enjoy it and read, because I put six hours of my life into it.

Make sure you have a good one.

No comments: