Friday, November 10, 2006

Veteran's Day Poem

Hi everyone, it's Caitlin (; I wanted to post last night, but I guess I let myself get distracted, and therefore never did. School was great this week, especially Thursday =) This week was pretty short, since we got today off plus this weekend. I was looking forward to this mini-break all week ^.~ Well first I guess I will explain what made Thursday so great! My English teacher had us write poems for a Veteran's Day Poetry contest sorta-thing. I had him in 8th grade and he had us do that then, and I was one of the winners that year and got to read it on stage in our assembly&everything. Well, as it turned out, I won second place again this year! ;D I couldn't believe it! I was very happy that my poem was liked :) Every year the school's FCCLA members put together this Veteran's Day ceremony, which is very nice, and the winners to that poetry contest they have every year get to go up and read it in front of everyone. It's real exciting and a lot of fun. I love it so much :D Yay! I plan on posting my poem as my daily blog special today so if you are interested, you can read it and/or leave me a comment because that would be cool if someone did.. :P On top of that, I got my report card at the end of the day Thursday and was really happy with my overal average of 100.7 because having been busy with drama for a good two weeks this quarter made me ponder if I still was able to balance everything. Buddy Foote beat me out though because he works so hard, and really deserved what he got, so when he sees this, good job! (: I came home smiling Thursday, hehe :P I also had the chance to come onto the blog at school, which was pretty cool ! -points to shoutbox-

I also have been playing Runescape a lot more than usual recently. It seemed I was developing the pattern of only playing once a week tops, typically on Saturday nights. Instead lately, I had time to go play after school which was fun. I have been mining, smelting, and smithing to get those levels up to 20. My mining is up to 26 I believe, and I finally reached 20 in smithing last night. It's a longer process than I thought, but not bad.

I slept in real late this Friday morning, savouring every moment I could to lay in bed until after 11am.. sHh xD Then I kind of lazied around the house, and ended up getting into this quarrel with my brother but it turned into a wrestling match because we got all worked up I suppose. My brother and I can be so strange, haha, like one minute we are pulling each other's arms off, and the next we were outside playing a peaceful game of catch with the football. o.o Haha, anyways now I want to go play some Runescape again. There is a high school football playoff game tonight, and as a matter of fact my friend just asked if I want her to come by fast and pick me up so we can go real quick and be a bit late..but her dad just left and she missed him so now the both of us I guess are stuck staying home, but that's alright, haha :P One more thing before I end this -- I hope you all have a nice Veteran's Day tomorrow ^.^

//__Radically Random__\
A Soldier's Letter
(written entirely by me!)

"It was a chilly night in December,
Before that given combat the next day.
A young soldier lay on his bunk's center,
As he wrote his beloved family a letter to say:

"Tomorrow's the day of that big, bold battle,
The one us soldiers fear the most.
Sergeant says we should not settle,
Until we've conquered the main coast.

We will be up and out by twilight.
There's not a moment to let go.
I hope that I'll be alright,
As we push forward through the cold snow.

Tell the little ones I love them,
And I appreciate their hope-filled tune.
I miss you all in this mayhem.
I should be coming home soon."

That next day was filled with many gunshots.
The air looked like a thundercloud.
Several soldiers fell and were forgotten,
Throughout their vital pursuit to remain tall and proud.

Three long weeks after the fighting ended,
A letter was delivered one quiet midday.
A family gathered to read what they most dreaded,
Their precious young soldier had peacefully drifted away.

Today that war is entirely over.
Countless soldiers have been laid to rest.
No one will ever forget to honor,
What they struggled to do at their very best.

A solemn flag continues to wave high in the wind,
Each time we hear that patriotic song, our Anthem.
A young hero had lost his life within,
To pay that ultimate sacrifice for the right of everyone's freedom."

No comments: