Friday, January 12, 2007

A Random Discussion

This last Sunday I went over my sister's for a couple of hours just to be with her for a little while and her two cats (and to try to encourage her to write a blog entry on my laptop) when I watched this rather good film on TV. I believe it was titled something among "The New Kid" or something similar, and it was about this kid who destroyed his social position in his school and wanted a change for once to be the popular kid, so he exchanged schools and tried to be a person who he wasn't originally deep down inside him, and then you'll have to watch the movie to learn the rest. It would help if I was certain about the movie title, right? Well, I saw the theme of the movie to be that it doesn't matter what a person looks like or what a person does, but rather who the person is on the inside and what their personality is like. Mostly the movie is based on groups of people in schools, such as the 'jocks', the 'nerds', the 'cool kids', etc. and later how these people sort of fused together and found that everything was better not being discriminative against each group. And in all due respect, everything is better when you can be friends with whoever you want without being judged and pushed by peer pressure, and that schools should indeed be a melting pot and not a group biased society.

I bring this subject matter up because after watching the movie and wanting more of it (as I always do with movies and television shows hence why I rarely watch them), I realized that my school, Lakeland, isn't too group-coordinated. There aren't too many people in my school that don't have more than twenty friends, even if they only talk to a certain friend once a month. Sure, as in most schools people will have enemies and people they just right down despise, but still they'll have a ton of buddies to back them up. Rather in my school, people are friends with everyone. People from other grades, people from other "groups", people from other schools -- if there was a friend tree such as there are family trees, everybody would be linked to one another in one way or another. Also these "groups" aren't too large in our school. Mostly the people who you sit at with lunch is considered your little group, but you can easily walk up and visit another table for the day. It's not like in other schools that you'll seen on television or even in the real world that'll not let you sit at their table because you're not "in" with them. I can easily go sit with the football players if I wanted to because I have some buddies with them, or I can go sit with the punk-like kids or even some girls because I'm friends with them. Sometimes they rather visit us instead. There is no single group that you're stuck in and can't get out, but rather our whole school is a single group.

Besides for the druggies in our school and a few other "poor in friendship" individuals, Lakeland is indeed a melting pot when it comes to friendship, and everybody can sit down and have a good laugh together, no matter who they are, what they do, what grade they get, what sports they do, if they're cool or not, etc. I have realized this just recently and everyday I live through another school day and experience every second of it do I begin to true my own theory. Maybe it's only the sophomore grade that has this unique feature about them. I believe that in the seventh and eighth grades that groups did matter quite a lot and because people in our high school came from two different elementary schools that they tended to stay with their own little group from their original school. Only in the ninth grade and now, in tenth grade, are people all coming together, knowing one another, and are able to appreciate who each other really are. First impressions soon changed overtime, and with that did new friendships bond together and link from one another.

And that is my random discussion for the day.

My...



...Verizon Cell Phone

Have a good one!

1 comment:

Emmie said...

Well nice blog... u have shared pretty good thoughts on friendship... i liked it... and a nice cell phone too... good choice... u can well sometimes drop by My Blog as well... hope u will find it interesting....!!!