Sunday, January 07, 2007

Runescape and My Essay

Hey, it is Caitlinnn! In an attempt to make up for my pretty stinky blog entry Friday night, I am now about to write another all about Runescape. I spent most of my time Saturday on that game, and have some pretty interesting stories to tell and accomplishments to share.

In the beginning I spent my time chopping trees, oaks to be exact. I can chop willow trees now but it took a long time and I have a weak axe I think so oaks were good enough. Then I would burn all the logs once filled up. My firemaking shot up like crazy and is now level 42, when it was previous 34 or something around there. Having reached that firemaking level, it was enough to make my very own first high score in that game. I wouldn't have even been aware of such a thing if it wasn't for a friend telling me. I was pretty excited since it is cool! Firemaking is probably the least skill people work on raising making it easier, but I am still proud of it. xD

That took place yesterday. Friday night my brother and I went shopping on Runescape. I had to sell some stuff in my bank to make room so he took me to the best shops to make the most gp. It was fun and I made close to 10k! =) He also has given me some rather lavish gifts lately. He gave me a Rune Full helmet and scimitar. He told me I can't use it until he 'says' though. That's alright, my levels are still a bit behind the minimum to wear such anyhow. He also gave me an amulet of power necklace, diamond ring, and a water staff for when I practice magic. It was real nice of him (; To repay him in some way, I did a favor for him consisting of gathering 100 pieces of soft clay. It was tedious in my opinion because after getting the clay I had to stand there by a fountain and wet every, single, piece. :P Then on Saturday we got together again but this other person was tagging along and wouldn't leave so I didn't know who he was but he was nice :P My brother just took us "exploring" and showed us a few places I never saw before. He went up to where these Monks of Zamorak were and he went in there and got attacked so I ran away. Then my brother went down these random holes, and I don't like following him down there because I always end up getting killed. :P I stayed away and that unknown guy followed me around, haha. After so long my brother's friend came and then other strangers started all following us until we had this train of people. It was pretty funny.

I had a lot of fun making fires yesterday after cutting trees. I want to get my woodcutting level to 40 at least, but it is taking a little while. I think I am at 38 now though, so pretty close. (: There has been a number of people talking to me in Runescape that I don't know. Sometimes I think it is funny and interesting, especially if I am just standing around working on my skill it helps pass the time when you have someone to talk to or help out. The only down side is some of those people in the game, probably just for being ftp, are gross. :P The other day I was in Lumbridge which I think is the town that festers most with those kind of players. I was walking up the path and this guy came up to me and asked "Am i hot?" and I ignored him. Then he asked again and I said "idk.." and he goes "well you are.." and I go "hah um thanks" but then he asked me out and I said no. Now honestly, I barely walked 5 steps when this other new guy walked up to me and asked me to be their "gf". Well maybe I don't know what a gf is..huh, why not speak english? I don't want to be their grape fruit. Haha.. it can be so funny xD I try to act really sweet to them though, and say "aw thanks, but sorry no" and if I am sweet they will leave me alone rather than being rude. The one time that didn't exactly work though and this guy added me on his friend list and frequently sends me messages asking about me, and if I am taken, and other stuff. One time I wrote back and said I don't know you. It doesn't make me mad or anything, it's just weird because people need other stuff to do. It ruins the game a bit, gives it a bad rep. -shrugs- Someone will say something to me like that about everytime I login. :P

Now I am going to sidetrack a bit from Runescape to announce that I attended this veteran banquet this afternoon to see who won for the Freedom's Challenge essay contest I was entered into from my English class at school. It was really fun actually. They got right down to it and the man with these envelopes specifially said "I will now read the names in no particular order.." and he did so but my name wasn't called. Then all of a sudden he said "and here we have the 3rd place winner which goes to.." and my name was called (although unfortunately pronounced incorrectly..CaLtlin is what he said..it was weird, lol xD) and I was shocked I actually won out of the 3 places! I was so excited. I proceeded to walk up, be congratulated, shake hands, and recieve an envelope. Inside was a 100 dollar savings bond I believe, and I also got a plaque with a Freedom quote on it along with another 50 dollar certificate. (I am pretty sure it was 50 but I don't remember to be exact.) I was thrilled and my parents were pretty proud of me. =) I got to sit next to the winners and have my picture taken by multiple cameras..I didn't know where to look, haha. It was a very nice little ceremony banquet type-of-thing. Then they served us lunch, spagehtti and meatballs, salad, soda, and desert. I enjoyed it and am so happy with having won 3rd place! hehe :) My daily blog special below is my essay I wrote and want to share that was the 3rd place winner. I hope you would read it and feel free to let me know what you thought about it! =))

Radically Random...

Freedom’s Challenge
Written By: Me, me and me! Don't copy it(;

I pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all! This pledge is recited everyday in many places throughout America as it holds a very significant meaning. Which word do you think is most important in The Pledge? Many people might think the words liberty, flag, or allegiance. I would have to disagree with them. I think one of the most meaningful words in The Pledge is the last word “all”. That small word represents such a large meaning. America is a country that will confront any challenges that affect the interest of everyone‘s freedom. It means that all of us, deserve to be treated equally and have the right to enjoy our country’s freedoms, that when have been challenged, were taken on by true heroes.
Whenever most of us Americans today hear the colors “red, white and blue” spoken in that order, the image of our American Flag is probably what appears in the mind first. Almost everywhere a person goes in America today, a steady flag can be seen waving in the wind flaunting it’s patriotic array of thirteen red and white stripes with fifty white stars pictured on a blue background in the upper left-hand corner. Our flag serves as a constant reminder of the challenges against American freedom from centuries past. The flag symbolizes union, loss, pride, and hope for everlasting freedom. This flag and this freedom it represents, has been repeatedly tested since it’s beginning, yet it always seems able to pull itself through to keep the country together in times of conflict.
Over the course of history, the pursuit of freedom has been the intention of most, if not all, of the wars fought that our country was involved in. Starting with the Revolutionary War where the colonists fought for freedom from Britain, to most recently the War on Terrorism where measures are being taken to protect Americans’ freedom to live without fear. Freedom is not free. There have been very brave men that lost their lives, and paid the ultimate price for the rest of us to remain free. Abraham Lincoln once stated, “Freedom is the last, best hope of Earth.” I believe that statement is true because if freedom weren’t, then why would we, as a country, have been fighting for years to preserve this independence each time something that threatened it came about?
In my family’s past, there have been some of these very brave men who went to war to fight for our country. My grandfather, in particular, served in the Air Force’s 714th Bombardment Squadron in the 448th Bombardment Group during World War II. He was eighteen-years-old when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Once America’s freedom was challenged, the United States decided to enter World War II. My grandfather volunteered himself to join the Armed Forces a few days later. He felt it was his duty to protect his country’s freedoms. After three years of training, he was given the duty of Flight Officer, a bombardier on a B-24 Bomber. He completed ten combat missions during the war, and received an Air Medal Award shortly thereafter. After the war was long over, each time he would recite the pledge to the flag it would symbolize his real home. This represented a now personal meaning to him. Veterans, like himself, are the people who were willing to take on the challenge of freedom in an attempt to secure it.
Throughout my life, freedom has presented a challenge to myself with the past terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001. The result of having such a major attack threaten our country’s safety was frightening to me. Overall, I feel that one day we, as a strong country, will reach a time when there will no longer be a need to challenge independence. “War will cease, we’ll win the peace, and remain forever free!“ tries to sum this immense idea up. That line was the final verse in one of my grandfather’s official marching songs from his time in the Armed Forces. Freedom is something that should not be taken for granted. Freedom may present different challenges for different people, yet we have to realize altogether freedom does come with a price. And so, the next time you stand up to recite The Pledge while facing that glorious flag, take a moment to think about how precious your freedom is, and thank those true veteran heroes who fought for the freedom of all.
-Caitlin

No comments: