Sunday, January 15, 2006

Market Stalls -- Player-Owned Shops

This is going to be a very long entry so put your reading glasses on, blink your eyes a couple of times, and sit back and relax if you want to read it all. This entry is sort of directed back to my old Runescape idea that I made about that whole marketplace feature, where you can sell items at stalls in an enclosed area wheras buyers walk around and browse through the stalls, buying what they want. A feature that I would love probably more than the future player-owned houses (or POH's). So yesterday I registered on the Tip.it forums and found it to be a quite friendly community. And after exploring the forums, I found their suggestion page. And I was quite happy because there was no limit to what you can suggest there. So I headed for my marketplace/player-owned shop idea and came up with this topic. However you'd have to register to view it so I'll do you the goods of posting what has occured so far in the thread, and not too much happened. But this is a much more specific layout of the marketplace feature I came up with. Enjoy.


Buddy Foote:

"Please do not flame me or exclaim that this was discussed a thousand times once before. I'm just adding my own personel input on a feature to Runescape that I believe would be great in a sense. I know that POH's are coming out in the future but this feature isn't really based around them but on something uniquly different. Here's my try on this suggestion, I hope you agree in some term:



Imagine a marketplace/flea market kind of environment with an ample amount of stalls located in every nook and corner of an outdoor area. There is a fence or some sort of wall/barrier surrounding this enclourse to where there is an enterance or two by going in and out of a building. In this marketplace, players of Runescape can have the ability to rent a stall for a sum of money to sell goods, get rid of "junk" they don't need from their bank by selling it, or for any other purpose that involves the process of selling something. Then buyers can walk throughout this marketplace, browsing stalls, and buying what they wish. This is just a small, undetailed summary of this feature -- Player-Owned Shops, or market stalls.

Let's just use the forest west of Lumbridge as an example for the rest of my suggestion. This being that this forest is sprend-out and vast, in which an area similar to that would be needed to suit such a feature. This could be the #1 problem, however, with this feature besides the stalls being filled and having to switch worlds to find a less-filled area.

For the basic seller, they would come to the markeplace with at least 27 items they wish to sell (able to be noted in which buyers will pick the amount they want from the noted item) and the money needed to rent a stall. Renting a stall can range from 1k to 5k, or beyond, meaning that in some cases, you'd have to ask yourself how much money you'll be making from renting a stall and selling what you have to offer. Once you enter the main building, or enterance into the marketplace, you can talk to the owner inside to see if there's any stalls inside to rent, and then rent them if any is avaiable. The number of items you can show at once in your shop window depends on how much you spent on the stall you're renting.

Once you have rented a stall, you're teleported to an avaiable one and a shop window appears, similar to any shop window or even the bank deposit window in Runescape. You can then drag-and-drop the item you wish to sell into place on the shop window from your inventory (or pick x amount to sell), set a price for that item each, and then continue doing the same for the rest of your items until your shop window space is full. This, again, is based upon how much you rented the stall for. You can then name your stall and open it to the public. Once you wish to leave, you must close your shop to the public and hit the 'x' button on the shop window. That stall will then become avaiable for future sellers. If you're selling anything and you log out, your shop will close automatically and that stall will be avaiable to any sellers.

Also for sellers, there is a flood control of every ten or twenty seconds that they may speak outloud to the public. This will prevent a lot of, "Selling cheap fish over here!", every second. This will not take affect for pming, however. Also if you have split-chat on, it will be visable during the selling process being that it is not possible to sell the amount of items to reach the bottom of the screen.

For buyers coming into the marketplace, all you need is money, this being for buying what you want. There is no admission fee. Enter the main building (a.k.a. enterance) and walk through it's other door into the marketplace. Then you may browse through the seller's stalls by clicking on a stall currently occupied and selecting "Browse Stall - Name of Stall". If selected, this will then bring you over to the seller's stall, opening their shop window with goods on it. Then you may get what you need at that stall, or close the shop window and continuing browsing other stalls. There is no flood control for buyers.


This is just the outline of my suggestion. I hope you at least agree with it in a way. Please comment, offer a change or addition, etc.

Have a good day."

That's pretty much the lowdown. Only one other person commented last night.


Zerocool11:

"Pretty good idea. Make a Wal-Mart of sorts on RS? lol

A way to reduce the crowding that would undoubtedly occur would be to organize the shops by what they're selling, much like forums do."

I then reply,


Buddy Foote:

"Yes, I like that idea too. I was thinking of a category type of system to have too in which you'd pick from a menu before you'd open the shop and select what you're mostly selling, fletching items, magic (runes), etc. but in your case, that wouldn't work. You'd have to pick a category before being teleported to your stall. But if those stalls were full in that category, then we'd have a problem. But an idea with a category would be a great addition to this feature.

Thanks for the comment."

He then responds again,


Zerocool11:

"Yeah, actually the option of picking what kind of stall you wanted to open would work better. And then when people entered the market they'd choose what they were looking for."

I then make two more replys, double-posting. Yep, I'm bad like that...


Buddy Foote:

"Well, I was thinking of when you ask to owner of the marketplace if there's any avaiable stalls that you're given a map of the marketplace and you're able to pick the stall you wish to rent. An avaiable stall would be blinking and you'd click on it and choose "Rent stall". Once you click this and choose to rent the stall, that stall won't be avaiable until you either cancel or close your shop and leave.


Also I was thinking that this feature may cut back on the sellers and buyers in banks. Hopefully..."

Buddy Foote:

"Sorry to double post but just for the curious reason I'd like to know if anybody else likes this suggestion. Now if Jagex, for the POH's, had a feature where you can put your house in a category, as in "shop", "party house", "farm", etc., and then from that point on your house would only serve as that purpose unless maybe you paid a certain amount to change the category. Maybe if they did that and you chose "shop", then you would get the whole shop window feature as in what I suggested. Then maybe they wouldn't need the marketplace. Or they could have both. Marketplace could be used for ones with no money (at least not a high sum) or carpentry skill to build a shop. And then when your carpentry skill is high enough and you have the money, you can build your own shop through the POH system and leave the marketplace for good unless you want to gain attention in your goods by going there."


Well, at least my idea got one vote for yes. Hopefully more will come but it has appeared that everybody was ignoring that thread and posting on ones that haven't been posted on in a week. Oh well...at least I tried. However I will keep you updated, or go join the forum yourself and see what's going on. You'll know who I am from this signature:



Or at least just the name I use everywhere, Buddy Foote.

I might be going to my sister's later on to stay for the night. I was supposed to stay over last night but we had a small snowstorm of sorts and the roads were icy. Plus neither her nor her husband felt like coming to pick me up at eleven at night. Don't ask why so late. Plus I never went to that hunting dinner yesterday but I heard from my father that it was great, and that there was an ample amount of pies.

I have to do essays today and tomorrow for those damn major mid-terms I have this week. Four essays, two for pre chem and two for English about Romeo and Juliet. It's crazy! College will be worse though...

Now I'll leave you with this insane video that shows Mario Brothers 3 being beaten within eleven minutes. There's much debate to whether it's fake by being programmed by an emulator or if it's indeed real, note that the game's language is Japenese. I watched the whole thing though. It's pretty tense because whoever did that, computer or person, is crazy.

Now I must go brainwash myself before picking up a pencil to write an essay. Hope you have a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com

Buddy Foote said...

Normally I wouldn't allow this above comment to stick around on this page being that it's an external link that doesn't serve too much of a purpose to me, but being that the video has a catchy tune to it, it will indeed stick around. However from now on, please do not post links unless I might request one.

But I got that Embaum link in the first place from the Nintendo group on MySpace (a site I check on once a week and never participate in anymore) so don't...look at me like that you bastard.

Err...thanks for the interesting link? Have a good one.