Sunday, June 15, 2008



The Meaning of Life

As I'm getting older and getting closer to my ultimate goals in life (college and then my career), I have realized a troubling point. What is there to life? Our whole life educates us to become a useful member of society. And then, once we get "released to the dogs", we do our assigned duty in society until we're physically too weak and worn out to. Once we reach this point, you're sitting around wondering how much longer you have to live. When will I suddenly have a heart attack or stroke? Will I wake up in the morning to see tomorrow? The point being is that our life is used for the betterment of a bigger system. Once we're gone from this planet, however, we will not be remembered. Okay – we left a few loved ones behind possibly, but what about when they die? Once you go past great-grandmother or great-grandfather in your family, you're forgotten. People think: I'll try to get to the celebrity status. Hmm . . . will we know Brittney Spears in two hundred years? Doubt it. Unless you discovered something big in the science, math, etc. fields or donate tons of money to some organization to have your name assigned to a facility or a campus, you're gone. You left behind a tombstone and a box with your bones in it – if you're even that fortunate. Plus, what about the afterlife? Can we really be that certain that one even exists or is it some false hope that will encourage us not to panic when we're about to die? Yes, there are ghosts and other paranormal happenings that shout to us that some form of an afterlife exists, but if I'm going to be stuck wandering inside of a house for the rest of eternity: no thank you.

I also dislike how the main goal in life is similar to some sort of board game: make as much money as you possibly can by whatever means. The purpose of our life is to be trained to be an effective citizen with a well-rounded education, and then to advance our education in a career choice that we're stuck pursuing until we retire. By doing our career, we're a little ant in the colony bringing some food to the queen. It may be a few molecules of food, but it's something. Honestly – society is the demanding queen ant and we're just the little workers feeding it with whatever we specialize in. But back to the money. I honestly hate money, but I'm forced to look at ways to make money because money is an mandatory necessity to have in our society. I need money to do anything. I need money to go to the store and get a gallon of milk. I need money to buy a web host for the new blog. I need money to pay for an insurance on my life. Dandy, isn't it? Money may be the runner of our society, but it's the evil backbone of it too. Why are there bank robberies? Money. Why are there grand theft autos? Money. Why are innocent 70-year old women having their purses taken from them? Money. Add drugs to the money phrase where applicable. Refer back to what I said in the first sentence of this paragraph – to make money by whatever means. If your source of money comes from some deviant act, then so be it. If it weren't for you deviants out there, there would be a lot of lost jobs, such as police, emergency services, etc. Plus the news would be boring.

That's as much thought that I can muster into word form at the moment. Therefore, I may resume this topic at a later time as it leads to a lot of controversy within myself. Have a good one.

No comments: