Tuesday, June 03, 2008



Process of Writing a Novel #1

If you're expecting some professional advice on the dedicated process of writing a novel, then hit the 'back' button and run away. If you're looking for a personal outline of the process of a young individual planning out and thinking about the creation of a fantasy novel, then you have stepped into the proper domain. Welcome to the beginning of my long journey from the beginning to end of writing a novel, and the plan I have in using this very blog as a big aid in its formation.

Before I begin spilling out my inner feelings and thoughts regarding this topic, I wish to apologize for the lack of proper wording, sentence construction, etc. of this post. I'm in a writing mood, yet I'm not in a fit mental state to write too well. Finals are killing me and I'm still trying to catch up with the work I missed over the last week of school that I missed. However, there's always time to write a few things and get them out there.

First, my goal: I plan to write a fantasy novel series consisting of four books. The novel is based on a 48-page story that I wrote in seventh grade. Since I created that work, I have created more in-depth information regarding the story in my head. The story that I created back then was rushed as it was a school assignment. I helped in creating a more complex story by imagining my fictional world in different media formats: such as games, movies, MMORPGs, etc. I would sometimes sit down for long periods of time, meditating upon the concepts that were brewing up in my noggin. However, I eventually realized that I needed to start transferring this information from my head to text. It was too valuable to lose in my very fragile brain – God forbid if something were to happen to me (I'd probably have more to worry about then than writing a book). I started creating concept maps using the free program known as 'FreeMind'. I was also able to create new plots, characters, locations etc. using this program that I didn't already think up before, as it was forcing me to seriously begin to think about this long project I had at hand. However, due to the large amount of work that I had to complete at school this year, I wasn't able to do much (even though I created a large amount of information in my head).

This summer I plan on starting the pre-writing process. Not only does this involve character creation, outlines, etc. but also enhancing my writing abilities, studying vocabulary, etc. Too write effectively, I must know all of the suitable abilities. I can't run into this project with blind ambition. Through research, reading, etc. I wish to open up my knowledge to a wide range of subjects so that when I must draw upon this information in the writing process, I can do so without majorly delaying of the book.

I'm sorry – I can't write more now. I'm just – lethargic at the moment. Hopefully I can continue this (with more enthusiasm) once the finals are over. Until then, have a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's nice. Good luck on writing a novel. :)

vocabexperts said...

Good Luck Keep it Up