Friday, June 06, 2008



WordWeb: #1 Tool for Vocabulary Nerds

While searching the collection of freeware that a variety of blogs have collected over the past month, a program jumped out and tackled me. In this case, I enjoyed the pain that resulted from the aftermath of the spontaneous tackle. This program, known as WordWeb, is a dictionary/thesaurus which activates upon holding in the control key and right-clicking on a word in any program. Yes, any program. You no longer have to have internet access to look up a word, or copy and paste a word into some internet dictionary because you're curious on what it means. And if you have internet access? WordWeb uses both their dictionary collection as well as 'tabs' to other online dictionaries – in case WordWeb's definition wasn't good enough. Also, there is a tab to Wikipedia. I find this program to be very helpful for my goal of learning a plethora of vocabulary terms throughout the course of this coming summer. Not only do I hope to achieve a better SAT score in the fall from my personal studying, but I also wish to better myself as a writer and be able to harvest from my 'pool of words' at any time without any complications. I highly recommend this program for everybody – it's free, reliable, fast, easy-to-use, and educational. Also, it can save a lot of time that it would take to open a browser and then a dictionary website.

It's amazing how computers almost completely replaced the printed dictionaries. I must say that I highly prefer electronic dictionaries. I find it to be a very tiresome task having to flip through pages upon pages of tiny text to look for a specific word, when all one must do on the computer is type in a word, hit 'search', and there you are. Plus, I find the electronic dictionaries to be easier on the eyes. Yet another task that technology has made easier to do.

I just wanted to throw this post up to notify any pedestrians walking by the blog of this great program. If you already have some offline or online source that you prefer over the others, then please share them. I used to use Microsoft Work's dictionary myself before I got this program, but the pain of having to open Work and then access the dictionary to look up a word was unnecessary. Also, WordWeb runs in your system tray. So, if you were to close it outside of the system tray (on accident, for example), you don't have to worry about searching through your 'program files' to access the program again.

That's all I have for you today. Have a good one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok mister vocab nerd, i don't think anyone wants to learn vocabulary.

vocabexperts said...

Its good for those who learning vocabulary skills, as vocabulary is important for improving english skills

Todaydownload.com said...

These facts are really interesting. Few of them were well known for me but many of them were brand new for me too!
I will print this one out and show to my friends because they will be definitely interested in that. Thanks!
WordWeb