Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wiiiiii

The Nintendo Wii. A new, fresh console from the company Nintendo, a company that has been bringing us hit classics since the NES and even before then Donkey Kong, and have brought many new innovations to the video game market. The Nintendo Wii, as many gamers should already know, is Nintendo's next-generation console that they are bringing to us, and on November 19th, 2006, it is being distributed throughout the United States of America -- and on that day I am going to go to the store and without any wait, I will hand over two hundred dollars and walk away with the Nintendo Wii. That is only true because I have awoken at 5:15 A.M. today, went to my local Toys R' Us store with Jenifer and her husband, Bobby, and waited in line for four hours in the freezing cold with high MPH wind gusting around us for the preorder of the console. And boy, what an experience that was.

At 5:15, my sister came into my "bedroom" at her apartment to wake me up to go, and I jumped up from my slumber right away. I was up until twelve the night before, playing a three-minute-a-quarter game of Madden '06 on Bob's newly purchased Playstation 2. I found it sort of humorous how some of the people waiting in line this morning were there for the Playstation 3 preorder, and my brother-in-law just got a Playstation 2 -- however he did have Playstation 2's in the past, but conflicts came about and he had to get rid of them.

The three of us got dressed, jumped in the car, and drove to the Toys R' Us in Dickson City to wait in line to preorder the Nintendo Wii. We were supposed to meet my father there, as he was to give me the fifty dollars needed to preorder the Wii. After meeting him and obtaining the money, we headed over to the end of the line. The line at the time of six o' clock was already pretty large with two tents and about five people standing behind those tents. Each tent had about seven persons also. From what we learned that day, the people in the first tent were mostly there for the PS3 orders, and they were camped out there until noon time yesterday. The people who were standing in front of us were there from one to five in the morning -- a very cold and windy morning as it was actually sleeting and snowing for five minutes early on. These people in front of us, standing and in tents, deserved these console preorders off the bat, as they were hardcore gamers.

The day went on, and more and more people joined the quene line for the preorders. There were actually three items that one could preorder there today. These items were the new Tickle Me Elmo (had 120 orders), the Nintendo Wii (had 20 orders), and the Playstation 3 (had 5 orders). Many people who were in line after us were disappointed to find out the low numbers on the consoles, and many were flipping when they knew that they would not be walking away with a preorder in their name. I felt bad for this one kid and his father. The guy in front of us (who was one of the nicest people I ever met) asked the father what he was here for out of the three items and the guy replied that he was getting the PS3. Well, the first tent was the PS3 tent, so the two were probably disappointed about that. It wasn't just that either, but the fact that there were tons of other people in front of the son and father who wanted the PS3.

A problem came about in the middle of the four hour period. Two people came out of nowhere and went at the front of the line as it seemed that the people who stayed in the tent were holding these places for the two. This would have been a major problem for us as were were number nineteen before the two came, but when they cut, we were number twenty-one out of the twenty preorders for the Wii. Thankfully two other people left, putting us back down to nineteen. Actually later on at twenty to ten (store opened at ten) when the manager was passing out the tickets to guarentee that we'd be able to preorder the console once the store opened, it was discovered that you could not order both the Wii and the PS3, but one or the other. Most of the people in the first tent besides two were getting both, so this news was bad for them. By this occuring, we were put down a few numbers to seventeen or sixteen, and the lucky fellows behind us got the Wii tickets.

That was probably one of the experiences in my life that will stand out for a very long time, and it was a rewarding experience too as I'm guarenteed a Nintendo Wii on November 19th -- three weeks from today. The ticket for the Wii stated that, "You don't just play the Wii. You experience it.", and that was one helluva experience. I would go into even greater detail, but I have to rap up this blog post as I have to pack up and go home from my sister's apartment. I have one last thing to say though about getting the preorder for the Wii:

"Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!"

Picture of the Day



Have a good one.

P.S. Being that I'm getting a Wii on the first day it's out, expect a report from me to inform all how wonderful the Wii really is after I get my hands on it.

1 comment:

Jenifer said...

oh yes.... I could agree with you and say that this day was an experience, but to be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...... although it's 6:38 @ night and I am ready for bed.... :-) Bobby & I are just glad that you got it....

Love You!