Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Fiddler on the Roof

What a hectic week! I have been pretty busy, back and forth all over the place. So much so that I have put off this blog entry two nights later than I hoped to post it, so I hope that won't be a problem. :P It was fun though. I mentioned that I'd be busy with drama last week, and I sure was. =) My school's Curtain Club was putting on Fiddler on the Roof this past weekend and the days leading up to that, aka tech-week, I was required to stay after school everyday until as late as 10pm! It was all good though, I mean it's only a week of staying up the school late, plus it's fun and I literally live at the school for a straight week, we are even served dinner. xD Last Saturday's practice was cancelled because 2ft of snow was dumped on us. Now it's funny to say that yesterday's temperature was about 70 and most, if not all the snow has melted. After school yesterday I literally looked like I was going to the beach. I got home and my mom urged me to put on my shorts and tube top, wear sunglasses, and sit on the back ramp to read my homework. I followed instruction, I mean, who can argue with that? The sun felt really good on my pale skin. :P Anywho, I was given a ride to drama Sunday since my driveway was snowed in still that day. I stayed at the school for about 6 hours, and saw the play Fiddler on the Roof for the first time. I thought it was fantastic even then, and half the people still didn't even have their costumes!

I was working on Stage Crew again. They split my friend Abby and I up on opposite sides of the stage, which I predicted would happen, but we had about the same job. At first we had to move weights. That idea was soon aborted and then our job was to move hay bails on and off inbetween scenes as well as sweep in order for the actors not to slip during the many dancing scenes. I thought it was fun, it just wasn't much to do y'know? Tuesday I couldn't go to drama and had to come home, but I did go Wednesday, but then missed Thursday. Despite this, I thankfully, didn't get in trouble, and all seemed well. Probably because the drama director was too occupied (I am still scared of her though.) :P

If you have never seen the play Fiddler on the Roof, then you must! At least rent the movie. I fell in love with it immediately. It's a story about a poor Jewish family, and Tevye, the father, has to face his traditional values with what his daughters are choosing to do concerning getting married. It's so cute! All of the actors at my school did an outstanding job, especially the main character, Tevye (aka Lucas who is one of the funniest kids I know!) It's a musical, and all of the songs are just lovely. I have each and every one stuck in my head every second of the day. =P I go around my house singing them even. Haha if you count it up, I saw the play a total of six times this past week. Each time loving it more. =)

I was so happy I was able to participate in such a magnificent production. It continues to be praised even. =) I made so many memories this past week at Drama, even this year as a whole with the previous play. I am happy I chose to get invovled in something, and I enjoy it too. =) I make new friends, and I spend so much time with Abby that we had so many good times we made a book-o-keepsakes. =P Hehe. I could go on for hours talking about the silly things that happened to us!

Thursday I mentioned I didn't go to drama because I was invited to a banquet for Reflections, a program at my school in which I entered my poem for the theme "My Favorite Place". I had been chose as a council winner (lyke no wai!) and with a few other friends, we all went to the banquet. It was nice and lasted 3 hours. Dinner was served, music was played, awards were given, and pictures were taken. My name was called and I got to walk up and recieve a medal and certificate. I had never won Reflections before, but always wondered what it'd be like. I can't believe still I had won another something for writing, it's unbelieveable because I personally think Buddy is the phenomenal writer. xD I am thankful&excited anywho!=]

Now drama is officially over for the year. I miss it. :P Sure I was only invovled with it for two weeks total, but it was enjoyable. Abby and I are invited to an end of the year banquet in May (woah what's with all these banquets?) so we hope to attend. After Sunday's show, there was a sad ceremony-type-event for the seniors leaving. Everybody was crying as they gave hugs and received flowers and applause. Then we had a mini-party after clean-up before going home around 7:30pm. I got to take home a few souvenirs though that included a piece of fabric, chocolate peanut butter cookies, a water bottle, and a piece of bark from Lucas's stump which Matt (little Motel) gave to me saying I had to keep it for when he came for me in 'forever land'. Haha so that was good.

Yesterday and today I have been heavily practicing a difficult mouth skill, trilling one's r's! I learned that for a Spanish test my teacher is making us read lines from a Spanish dialogue and in order to score well we need to pronounce the words correctly with the best accent we can present. Well this is hard in a number of ways. I think I got the vowels down, since I spent last year making a point to pronounce correctly, but I just could not roll my r's for words like Barrios and repente. Now you see, Chase (my brother) is the greatest r-roller my Spanish teacher has ever met. At the beginning of the school year he got to stand in front of his class to show everybody his talent and they timed him, 31seconds being his record trill. :P With that in mind, I hoped maybe some genes were in me to be oh so talented. That and I was extremely determined to trill like there was no tomorrow. I wasn't going to give up. I had a goal, and I set out to reach it. Yesterday was bad, I was like spitting and croaking like a frog. Really wrong. Today I read a few pages online, and learned people disagree on whether it's something everyone can do, or it really might be gene related/a physical trait. Anyways, I knew I could do it, so I kept telling myself I could. I knew I could because when I was younger I honestly remember doing it with my brother. I just had to reteach myself was all. Before dinner when I was in my room alone I sat there saying the word 'purrr' a dozen times, making sure for the r's that my tongue was gently on the roof of my mouth. Before I knew it I was trilling and I got so excited!! I calmed down, and kept trying. The word 'purr' worked really well for me, but I believe different r words work better for different people. After I got tired of purring, I randomly just started to focus really hard and pronounce the letter r with my tongue in the correct spot. This worked even better as little breathes were getting through and I was trilling for 5 seconds at a time, and I could even vary in sound like a song. My gosh I was excited! Hahaha :P So you see, I still can't do it each try but I am getting the hang of it again. I want to master it so I can have a contest against my brother, mwhaha (rrrrrr's ftw!) We'll see though, practice makes perfect right? =]

This entry contains a lot so I hope you got your fill, hehe. :P

Radically Random...

Image  Hosted by ImageShack.us

If I were a rich man, daidle deedle daidle deedle deedle deedle daidle dum...(:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont worry, thats fine! I understand perfectly :) Hope things lighten up soon!