Thursday, May 11, 2006

Conversation with Strange Chris Hesser: Wii Talk

With E3 almost over and all of the amazing news of the Nintendo Wii coming to us everyday, I couldn't hold my excitment anymore. Drake went for his hour walk and wasn't around, so I booted up AOL and had a good ol' conversation with the pure, the mature, the Strange Chris Hesser. You better get your reading glases on for this read because it's a long one -- kept me up most of the night just speaking to the man. In this conversation we tackle lots of topics regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, the Nintendo Wii, and about the doom of Sony and Microsoft's position in the video game industry. Even though I don't play games much (besides Runescape), I'm still into the 'politics' you can say of video games. But the Nintendo Wii will make me change. I'll be playing it 24/7. Honest to God, I bet you next year when it comes out, I'll have videos up on here with me playing the console going crazy and moving all around. I plan to ducuss this more with Hesser, but it was getting late so I ended the conversation.

Also as a little side note: My pre chemistry project is due tomorrow, and it came out great. Everything is ready. Just to present it now!


Conversation with Strange Chris Hesser: May 11th, 2006

"Buddy" [9:29 P.M.]: Hey

Norwegian Yah [9:29 P.M.]: Hello

"Buddy" [9:30 P.M.]: Get any E3 coverage?

Norwegian Yah [9:30 P.M.]: No. It's playoff time. Although For Ottawa it will end soon.

Norwegian Yah [9:30 P.M.]: So I can shave.

"Buddy" [9:30 P.M.]: Are you busy now then?

Norwegian Yah [9:30 P.M.]: Sorta

"Buddy" [9:31 P.M.]: Did you see anything about the Nintendo Wii?

Norwegian Yah [9:32 P.M.]: I saw a video of Miyamoto playing Mario Tennis

"Buddy" [9:32 P.M.]: What are your impressions? And it wasn't Mario Tennis, it was just tennis.

Norwegian Yah [9:33 P.M.]: It's going to be better than everything else, PS3 and Xbox will fail this time around, and will only be supported by the naive.

"Buddy" [9:34 P.M.]: What you just said is what I've been thinking fron Day 1 the "Revolution" controller was reveailed

Norwegian Yah [9:34 P.M.]: Well obviously.

"Buddy" [9:34 P.M.]: You must see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUIjnzFCGcE&search=wii

"Buddy" [9:35 P.M.]: There's a large line up of games expected for it

Norwegian Yah [9:35 P.M.]: in a bit

"Buddy" [9:35 P.M.]: I'm surprised they never spoke about the downloading feature at E3

"Buddy" [9:35 P.M.]: Downloading the old school games

"Buddy" [9:36 P.M.]: I can just imagine Madden on the Wii -- chucking your controller across the room. :p

Norwegian Yah [9:36 P.M.]: I don't think that's what they intend.

"Buddy" [9:36 P.M.]: It's not, but that's what I thought at first

"Buddy" [9:37 P.M.]: I'm looking forward to Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy

Norwegian Yah [9:37 P.M.]: I don't know what I'm looking forward to. Probably a sword fight

"Buddy" [9:38 P.M.]: Oh -- they'll be plenty of sword fights. You know what I see happening?

"Buddy" [9:38 P.M.]: Lightsabers

Norwegian Yah [9:38 P.M.]: Obviously. Lucasarts already said that

"Buddy" [9:39 P.M.]: Just imagine how intense that will be

Norwegian Yah [9:39 P.M.]: nerds will go crazy

"Buddy" [9:39 P.M.]: Wii has it all.

"Buddy" [9:40 P.M.]: I just hope it could finally play CD's and DVD's

"Buddy" [9:41 P.M.]: After see the Smash Brothers Brawl video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8BMs6skcXg&search=Super%20Paper%20Mario%20Bros%20Gamecube%20Nintendo), I want the console right now.

"Buddy" [9:42 P.M.]: I can finally play as Wario

"Buddy" [9:42 P.M.]: And.......

Norwegian Yah [9:42 P.M.]: Wario was cool in Mario Kart 64 when he had an annoying voice

Norwegian Yah [9:42 P.M.]: then he became not as cool when he got a low voice

"Buddy" [9:42 P.M.]: Solid Snake is even in it!

"Buddy" [9:43 P.M.]: I never played the Metal Gear series but with Snake being in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, this is a major leap for Nintendo. A third-party character in a first-party game!

Norwegian Yah [9:44 P.M.]: I won't be able to stand people who will be saying "teh graphix suxx0rz!"

"Buddy" [9:44 P.M.]: Oh, we have those people already

"Buddy" [9:46 P.M.]: People are even arguing that Nintendo will be in a major lawsuit for shoulder/arm injuries

"Buddy" [9:46 P.M.]: Sony fanboys are saying that their controller concept is even better than Wii's controller

"Buddy" [9:47 P.M.]: And Microsoft fanboys shout, "Look at our graphics, noobs!"

"Buddy" [9:47 P.M.]: And with the Halo 3 trailer...

Norwegian Yah [9:48 P.M.]: Humans are dumb

"Buddy" [9:48 P.M.]: Ha

"Buddy" [9:51 P.M.]: And then we have this guy like you mentioned: Man I'm really disappointed, the graphics sux,if the control would not be really COOOOL and FUNCTIONAL, in terms ofhow it work inside the game, with us, nintendo will be doomed -_-°!

Norwegian Yah [9:52 P.M.]: I'm glad nintendo is doing something new. I think that's awesome. I think my idea would have been cooler though

"Buddy" [9:52 P.M.]: What was your idea?

Norwegian Yah [9:53 P.M.]: They could have had the Nintendo Nightmare, which focused around adult themes. Like, it's not only a gaming system, but it's a got a storage space in the back to hold weapons. And they can have awesome promotions like "If you bring your PS3 or Xbox 360 to a store and burn it, then we'll give you the Nightmare..half off!"

Norwegian Yah [9:53 P.M.]: and they can completly make it all dark and evil. Like, Mario can be a vampire.

"Buddy" [9:54 P.M.]: We can use the Wii controller to shoot the consoles...virtually...in a mock game

"Buddy" [9:54 P.M.]: Here's my idea:

Norwegian Yah [9:55 P.M.]: Better than shooting them virtually..supply a free grenade with every system you buy!

"Buddy" [9:55 P.M.]: A sword fighting game online over wi-fi where you can...sword fight online.

Norwegian Yah [9:55 P.M.]: and if you buy 5 Nightmares, you can cash in those 5 grenades for a flamethrower.(the grenades will have the official nintendo seal on them to proove they're Nightmare grenades, not any others)

Norwegian Yah [9:55 P.M.]: Yeah.

"Buddy" [9:56 P.M.]: Maybe this can be the new interactive MMORPG.

Norwegian Yah [9:56 P.M.]: Why? I'm talking about real life.

"Buddy" [9:56 P.M.]: Sword fighting, wisking the controller around to cast certain spells, and to use the controller as a bow to aim and shoot for range

"Buddy" [9:57 P.M.]: I know -- I'm on a totally different subject

Norwegian Yah [9:57 P.M.]: Nintendo's goal will be to kill off all stupid PS3 and Xbox fan boys, and then they won't have any competition.

"Buddy" [9:57 P.M.]: Nintendo is nothingelse than...fun.

"Buddy" [9:57 P.M.]: Not fancy gadgets

"Buddy" [9:57 P.M.]: Not 40 GB hard drive storage

"Buddy" [9:58 P.M.]: Not "all graphics and no gameplay"

"Buddy" [9:59 P.M.]: The only reason those fanboys are still around are because of mature games. But look, with te concept of sword fighting, we're going to have blood and the chopping off of heads. There's an M-rated game right there.

Norwegian Yah [10:00 P.M.]: I like decapitations

"Buddy" [10:00 P.M.]: SaY WHAT?

"Buddy" [10:00 P.M.]: Sorry for the caps -- they froze

Norwegian Yah [10:00 P.M.]: I said, I like decapitations

"Buddy" [10:00 P.M.]: Oh!

"Buddy" [10:00 P.M.]: The chopping off of body parts?

Norwegian Yah [10:00 P.M.]: No, that's dismembering

"Buddy" [10:00 P.M.]: Darn...

Norwegian Yah [10:01 P.M.]: decapitating is head removal

"Buddy" [10:01 P.M.]: That was my second guess...

"Buddy" [10:02 P.M.]: What other games would you want on there?

Norwegian Yah [10:02 P.M.]: hockey

"Buddy" [10:02 P.M.]: That could be very possile

"Buddy" [10:03 P.M.]: Hocket stick = controller

"Buddy" [10:03 P.M.]: *hockey

Norwegian Yah [10:03 P.M.]: yeah

"Buddy" [10:03 P.M.]: Maybe an X-Files game...

Norwegian Yah [10:04 P.M.]: Those have been known to stink

"Buddy" [10:05 P.M.]: Things can change

Norwegian Yah [10:05 P.M.]: They can.

"Buddy" [10:05 P.M.]: Do you plan on getting the Wii?

Norwegian Yah [10:05 P.M.]: Obviously

"Buddy" [10:06 P.M.]: When I first saw the term "wii", my eyes went cross-eyed and I thought it read "wiki" as in "wikipedia"

"Buddy" [10:08 P.M.]: I also heard that Nintendo is doing another 'master' plan

Norwegian Yah [10:08 P.M.]: I think Wii is a horrible name

"Buddy" [10:09 P.M.]: They're letting young game developers the chance to have their created game downloadable from the Wii's internet service. That way it'll promote the Wii and if you get bored with a game, pop on-line and download the newest game.

"Buddy" [10:09 P.M.]: This way you could also get demos of new upcoming full releases

Norwegian Yah [10:10 P.M.]: Interesting

"Buddy" [10:11 P.M.]: Their web browser is called Opera

"Buddy" [10:11 P.M.]: "For our Wii console launch in 2006, we required a browser that wasfast and secure with support for the latest standards including AJAX.Opera proved perfect for our purposes and is an exceptional addition toboth the Nintendo DS and the Wii console."

Norwegian Yah [10:12 P.M.]: I don't think I'll use the online thing

"Buddy" [10:13 P.M.]: I do believe it's free, but I see your point. Espically if you have a desktop a room or two away (or in the same room). But you'll never download content or games for the console, even if it was entirely free? The old school games do cost money though to download, but cheap. Maybe $3-$5.

"Buddy" [10:16 P.M.]: I think the PSP died away

Norwegian Yah [10:16 P.M.]: definitely.

Norwegian Yah [10:16 P.M.]: I remember Jordan was so hypoed up about it.

Norwegian Yah [10:16 P.M.]: He bragged for months

Norwegian Yah [10:16 P.M.]: then he bought one

Norwegian Yah [10:16 P.M.]: and traded it in 2 weeks later

"Buddy" [10:16 P.M.]: DS is better

Norwegian Yah [10:17 P.M.]: I never played either

Norwegian Yah [10:17 P.M.]: Well

"Buddy" [10:17 P.M.]: Yet again, a creative concept

Norwegian Yah [10:17 P.M.]: actually, I played PSP in school, someone let me use it and I played Madden and won the game for them

"Buddy" [10:17 P.M.]: Did you like it?

Norwegian Yah [10:18 P.M.]: Yeah. But then again, everything is much funner in school.

Norwegian Yah [10:18 P.M.]: Like, people play hangman and tic tac toe

"Buddy" [10:19 P.M.]: Game Boy Advance is dead

"Buddy" [10:19 P.M.]: "Nintendo may not launch a new version of its wildly popular Game BoyAdvance portable game player so it can focus on the latest hithand-held machine, the DS. 'I would have a second thought about usingour resources on what would be the next generation of Game Boy Advance,considering the strong support DS is now enjoying,' President SatoruIwata told Reuters on the first day of the Electronic EntertainmentExpo."

Norwegian Yah [10:19 P.M.]: I was watching an Are You Afraid Of The Dark? episode last night, and they had one based off games(pinball actually), and they had an old old old gameboy at the start

Norwegian Yah [10:20 P.M.]: and whenever they pressed button, it would have a cheap sound that they used from the sound effects department.

"Buddy" [10:20 P.M.]: I remember that show

Norwegian Yah [10:20 P.M.]: Sorta like in movies when people have computers and they randomly beep, even though computers are virtually silent

"Buddy" [10:20 P.M.]: The intro used to freak me out as a kid

Norwegian Yah [10:20 P.M.]: It was a good one.

"Buddy" [10:20 P.M.]: Unless you're in computer class and everybody hits the sticky key

Norwegian Yah [10:21 P.M.]: I used to be afraid, but not anymore. It's awesome. Seeing actors becoming famous, or who were on X-Files

Norwegian Yah [10:21 P.M.]: True

"Buddy" [10:22 P.M.]: In an interview yesterday, Microsoft VP Peter Moore had this to sayregarding the PS3's $500-$600 price tag: "Tell me why you would buy a$600 PS3. People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buyan Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii... for the price of one PS3."

Norwegian Yah [10:23 P.M.]: Oo hoo hoo

"Buddy" [10:23 P.M.]: ?

Norwegian Yah [10:23 P.M.]: That's fighting words

"Buddy" [10:23 P.M.]: Oh, it is

"Buddy" [10:24 P.M.]: I sense Xbox and Wii fanboys to join together and kill Sony fanboys

"Buddy" [10:24 P.M.]: I heard the PS3 had seven controller slots

Norwegian Yah [10:24 P.M.]: Will there be GTA?

"Buddy" [10:24 P.M.]: But I'm not sure if that's true or not

"Buddy" [10:24 P.M.]: Grand Theft Auto?

Norwegian Yah [10:25 P.M.]: Oui

"Buddy" [10:25 P.M.]: Grand Theft Auto IV will be releashed on the Xbox 360 AND the PS3 on the same day.

"Buddy" [10:26 P.M.]: So it's not an exclusive title anymore

"Buddy" [10:26 P.M.]: Therefore Sony loses

Norwegian Yah [10:26 P.M.]: Looks like I won't be getting that one

Norwegian Yah [10:26 P.M.]: wait, IV? That's 4

"Buddy" [10:26 P.M.]: Yes

Norwegian Yah [10:26 P.M.]: Vice City was the fourth.

"Buddy" [10:26 P.M.]: No...listen:

Norwegian Yah [10:26 P.M.]: Are you telling me

Norwegian Yah [10:26 P.M.]: They basically forgot about 1 and 2

Norwegian Yah [10:27 P.M.]: and just went with 3, VC, and San Andreas?

"Buddy" [10:27 P.M.]: Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, and San Andreas were all in the same little saga

Norwegian Yah [10:27 P.M.]: '-'

"Buddy" [10:27 P.M.]: They were all basically Grand Theft Auto III with upgrades

"Buddy" [10:27 P.M.]: I'm trying to think of the right word but I can't

"Buddy" [10:28 P.M.]: Let's say a world

"Buddy" [10:28 P.M.]: Those three games took place in one 'universe'. As in the same place, same gameplay engiene, etc.

"Buddy" [10:28 P.M.]: IV will offer new places not relating to the old ones and a new gameplay engine

"Buddy" [10:29 P.M.]: Therefore they say it's in a different GTA universe

"Buddy" [10:29 P.M.]: SA and VC were sort of expansion packs to III

"Buddy" [10:30 P.M.]: Get it?

"Buddy" [10:31 P.M.]: So Vice and San Andreas were like 3.1 and 3.2

Norwegian Yah [10:31 P.M.]: So uhh..

Norwegian Yah [10:31 P.M.]: what will this new world be like?

Norwegian Yah [10:31 P.M.]: That will make it unexpansion packy

"Buddy" [10:31 P.M.]: And the first GTA had three cities

"Buddy" [10:31 P.M.]: San Andreas, Liberty City, and Vice City

"Buddy" [10:32 P.M.]: So the last series of the GTA games had all three cities (with San Andreas being a state)

"Buddy" [10:32 P.M.]: My buddy, Drake, and I spoke of the next GTA a lot

"Buddy" [10:32 P.M.]: GTA II takes place in London, England

"Buddy" [10:33 P.M.]: So our idea:

"Buddy" [10:33 P.M.]: The PS3 and Xbox 360 are pretty powerful systems

"Buddy" [10:33 P.M.]: We think that GTA IV will be all of the British Isles

"Buddy" [10:33 P.M.]: And other parts of Europe possibly

Norwegian Yah [10:34 P.M.]: So basically...thats the only non-expansion packy thing?

"Buddy" [10:35 P.M.]: Well, there's no information yet about GTA IV besides the release date (November 2007) and it's home consoles

Norwegian Yah [10:35 P.M.]: Oh. Ok

"Buddy" [10:35 P.M.]: Geez...I'll be a junior by then

"Buddy" [10:35 P.M.]: And you a senior

"Buddy" [10:37 P.M.]: I'd like to see GTA on the Wii

Norwegian Yah [10:37 P.M.]: Wow.

Norwegian Yah [10:37 P.M.]: I can't imagine being a senior

"Buddy" [10:37 P.M.]: Just one year and you'll be one

"Buddy" [10:37 P.M.]: 1+ year

Norwegian Yah [10:38 P.M.]: What if I die?

"Buddy" [10:38 P.M.]: You won't, hopefully

Norwegian Yah [10:38 P.M.]: I don't want to die anytime soon.

"Buddy" [10:38 P.M.]: You'll live a long life

Norwegian Yah [10:38 P.M.]: You can't gurantee that.

Norwegian Yah [10:38 P.M.]: Unless..O_O

"Buddy" [10:38 P.M.]: I can't...

Norwegian Yah [10:39 P.M.]: Do you got powers like in Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and you can see my death?!

Norwegian Yah [10:39 P.M.]: Cause in that episode, he saw peoples deaths and knew how and when they'd die!

Norwegian Yah [10:39 P.M.]: and Mulder almost died when he stepped on a pie but he realised clyde told him that and he turned around and saw the killer at the last second.

"Buddy" [10:40 P.M.]: Sorry, I do not have those amazing powers

"Buddy" [10:40 P.M.]: Well, I'm going to pack up and hit the hay

Norwegian Yah [10:41 P.M.]: What did the hay ever do to you?

"Buddy" [10:41 P.M.]: Thanks for chatting about the Wii

"Buddy" [10:41 P.M.]: Ooh...you got me.

Norwegian Yah [10:41 P.M.]: Goodbye Steve!

"Buddy" [10:41 P.M.]: Adios Hesser!

Norwegian Yah [10:41 P.M.]: Don't forget to wear your sandals!

"Buddy" [10:41 P.M.]: I threw them out

Norwegian Yah [10:41 P.M.]: NOOOOOOOOOO

"Buddy" [10:41 P.M.]: The strap broke

Norwegian Yah [10:41 P.M.]: THAT

Norwegian Yah [10:42 P.M.]: is why you need TOPLESS SANDALS!

"Buddy" [10:42 P.M.]: Egast!

Norwegian Yah [10:42 P.M.]: only 15 dollars

"Buddy" [10:42 P.M.]: I just lost $5...

"Buddy" [10:42 P.M.]: My mother gave me $5....and I lost it

Norwegian Yah [10:42 P.M.]: uh oh

Norwegian Yah [10:42 P.M.]: I'm in the same position

Norwegian Yah [10:42 P.M.]: I lost a bet

Norwegian Yah [10:43 P.M.]: worth 5 dollars

"Buddy" [10:43 P.M.]: Did you somehow....?

Norwegian Yah [10:43 P.M.]: So i'm blackmailing someone to give me money to pay off the bet

"Buddy" [10:43 P.M.]: Nice idea

"Buddy" [10:44 P.M.]: Well, I'm heading off to murder the hay. Don't forget to brush your teeth and don't let the bed bugs bite.

Norwegian Yah [10:44 P.M.]: Ok!

"Buddy" [10:44 P.M.]: Make sure to write that all down so that you don't forget now.

Norwegian Yah [10:44 P.M.]: i won't!

"Buddy" [10:45 P.M.]: Photographic memory, eh?

"Buddy" [10:45 P.M.]: I think the film ran out

Norwegian Yah [10:45 P.M.]: I have the chat window open

Norwegian Yah [10:45 P.M.]: So I can check later

"Buddy" [10:45 P.M.]: Okay....

"Buddy" [10:45 P.M.]: Adios!

Norwegian Yah [10:45 P.M.]: Au Revoir




No comments: