Saturday, May 13, 2006

MMORPG Friends

Let me ask you this: Do you think any MMORPG would be fun without some friends to chat with while you’re bored training something, wanting to ask a question without being made fun of, or wanting to actually run around plying the game with, doing quests with, and going on fun, high-flying adventures? For one, I wouldn’t. People without friends in MMORPG’s resort to either run around trying to make new friends who either accept their friendship or turn them down calling them a “noob”, or these people run around being a loner and making fun of others showing of their wealth with expensive weapons and amour. If you know me well, you know what I’m talking about. Runescape.

When I first went into Runescape, I already had a friend from the beginning -- UnleasedFury. Without Unleashed, I wouldn’t even know where to start or where anything was or even how to do most quests before I found the helpful aid of fan sites with their helpful quest and skill guides. He was around level forty-three when I joined (which I caught up to him pretty fast). He played for about two years -- however I still wonder as of today why he was only level forty-three when he played for two years. I didn’t even play for a full year yet (however my one-year anniversary of playing will be coming up next month I believe) and I have 1.2+ million gold pieces, 75+ combat level, and I’m a member, while he was still a free-to-play, only becoming a member for a while which influenced me to switch over to p2p. I think Unleashed even showed me the way to SwiftSwitch and Runescape Community. When I first played and mined iron and coal for money, he told me to go to Runescape Community to post a thread selling my ores. I did, and sold them all. Over time, Unleashed got bored with the game and went onto some war game, which I heard him talking about on the SAPI.

So therefore, Unleashed was my first friend on Runescape. Many more followed. Including real life friends such as Craig, Caitlin, and Shawn, and others such as Andy joined up but I don’t think he ever got off of Tutorial Island saying that the game sucks. I felt like composing a small list (not in any order of when they first became my friend) of my friend list with some information regarding how we met and our relationship in-game. Enjoy:

Alaskanwolf7: This guy here is Craig, naming himself after his love of wolves. Honest to God, Craig loves wolves a lot. I’m not going to refer to him as Craig here though, because he highly dislikes when I call him Craig on Runescape, even yelling at me. He’ll most likely dislike this. Wolf joined a few months after I played, in which I was a bit addicted to the game at the time, I told Wolf while walking to lunch about the game and that he’d love it if he played it. He was uncertain at the time about the game because he wasn’t allowed to download anything on his computer, otherwise he’s get yelled at by his parents. I informed him that the game does not require any downloading whatsoever to play and that all you do is sign up, pick a detail setting, pick a f2p world, and play away. I think I was a member when he started playing. At first Wolf sort of disliked the game, being a bit confused as to what to do, but everybody is at first. I came onto the f2p servers showing him what to do. Wolf started getting levels higher than me from the beginning, such as magic. My magic level wasn’t even anywhere around twenty when he was able to teleport all over the f2p world. I remember doing the quest that introduces rune crafting to the player (Rune Mysteries?) with him when he stated that he was able to do easily, just teleporting back and forth; but I had to walk back and forth taking a while. Wolf then became a member, paying for the premium service. Wolf easily got his levels way past mine over time and beats me in almost everything today, including combat level and skills such as ranged, magic, smithing, mining, slayer, prayer, herblore, runecrafting, and every other combat skill. I’m only beating him in woodcutting, fishing, cooking, fletching, and farming (by maybe a level or two). The whole point here is not being better than the other, but just the fact that I played longer and he’s still much, much better than I am. There can be two reasons to this. One, I was hacked once, leaving my bank totally empty. I recovered from this over time though, by mining for money. Second, he plays a lot longer than me. If you thought I was addicted, then you don’t know Wolf. He plays a lot more than me and during the summer when he’s not working, golfing, or outside running around with me trying to brake bouncy balls in half and annoy my pre chemistry teacher, he’ll be online playing Runescape. Good for him; he has a lot of patience for the game. For me, I had no patience, switching from training one thing to another, until Zezima’s interview inspired me.

Kangaroo360: Monkey sees, monkey do’s. This is Wolf’s younger brother. A free-to-play player. Here’s the little equation for Kangaroo: Wolf plays Runescape; Kangaroo sees Wolf play Runescape; Kangaroo has to do the same thing that Wolf is doing to be satisfied and to find a new way to annoy his older brother in some way, hogging up computer time; Kangaroo signs up and plays; Kangaroo becomes addicted; when Kangaroo is playing, Wolf watches, and vice versa. Geez, Kangaroo was so annoying to me once that I added him to my ignore list however he’s right back in my friends list. He doesn’t seem to play anymore, but his cooking level is 80+ and his fishing is 70+ and he’s a free-to-play player still.

Zilagin: I call this man the woman helper. Why? Long story, but I’ll tell you anyway as simply as I can. I was on the Runescape official forums in the suggestion board after posting my marketplace idea for the third time, only getting about three supporters that time, when this topic about women caught my eye. The woman who posted the thread stated that she found that women were harassed more in the game than men were, and that it’s pretty bad how she can’t even go anywhere without hearing stuff like “yur hot”, “hey cexy” or “yur a man changed 2 a girl! Cross dresser! Lmao!!!” I wanted to see if this was true so I posted on the thread replying saying that I was going to put on a small experiment to help the woman poster that involved going to the make-over mage, changing my gender to female, getting a haircut, and walking around f2p with others doing the experiment wearing my full rune and wielding my dragon longsword. Our target was just staying in the Lumbridge area because when I was ever there, either to just hang out or that one time when I was waiting for Caitlin to join the game, I heard boys walk up to women asking, “Wot to have sum cex pl0x?” I hate these people -- first of all show respect; second of all learn how to freaking type properly, excuse my French! So anyway, Lumbridge was the place where I figured I’d be attacked the most. Standing around with my two other “female” friends (hint the quotes around female), I was attacked. I wasn’t attacked because I was a female but because of my wealth, people wanting to buy my rune kite shield for 230 gp. I just simply laughed but I helped the poor guys by telling them how to make money, but they refused to listen. This one guy was really bad. I just ignored him and went along with head banging my head off of the Lumbridge castle walls. This guy was still verbally attacking me when this low leveled free-to-play player walks up to the game yelling, “Leave the woman alone.” The attacker says “kk” and walks away, and I gladly thank the man who rescued me and added him as he requested me to. This mad is Zilagin. So, he was the opposite result of my experiment, but for the good of all women. This happened last Saturday and I changed back into a man and grew my infamous beard back.

Zult: Zult was around level 110 when I met him in the Gnome Stronghold cutting yew trees. I remember there were these two guys also cutting yews talking nasty to each other, about horse sex and the whatnot. Zult and I teamed up to practically just yell at them. We then talked a bit afterwards, adding each other. I talked to him a few times afterwards and then we just stopped talking, however he’s still on my friend list and I hope the same vice versa. I should talk to him again when he’s on. He’s a friendly high level person, in which you don’t see too many of those wandering around, unless they’re player mods, and even they can be ‘evil’.

Legodude256: This is Andy’s account. I don’t think he even left Tutorial Island, hating the game from the beginning. Andy criticizes everything. He no longer plays, in which he never really did play…

Caydalyn: This is Caitlin’s Runescape account. She died about three times so far because of her ancient desktop computer and it’s extreme lag. It doesn’t even lag. It blows up. I have to make her another set of iron armor then and meet her at Lumbridge. She doesn’t currently play because of her desktop, but once she gets a new one or whatever is going on with an extra RAM covering case that her father was talking about, she wants to play again and get the full experience. I think she’ll love it, especially after she was addicted to Neopets. She read enough guides on the game to take a test on it right now and pass, so I think she’s ready whenever her computer is.

Dante11356: This fellow here will read this blog entry. Why? Because he found me out through my blog, adding me to his friends list after he read a few posts here and I thought I was cool. Well, I’m happy that you found me out through my blog, Dante. That’s what I want more people to do. I never actually met him in-game besides talking through PM, but he’s a higher combat level than me. I recently pointed Dante in the direction to the exclusive Zezima interview. You’re a good man Dante.

Okay, I’m honestly getting tired from typing, but yet there’s still more people to my friends list. Here’s the rest of them (that I actually talk to -- there’s a lot of people on my friends list that I don’t even know and I wonder why they’re even on it).


Fire3240 - Met him on a f2p world near Port Sarim. In the upper 60’s in combat level. We talked a bit and hug out a bit, turning into Easter eggs on street corners. I didn’t see him on in a while.

Xspikeangelx - We never talk now, but (she?) was added because (she?) defended the Christian religion while we were fishing at Caterby and people were making fun of the almighty God. I hope they go to hell, right now.

Nitro269 - Met him while cutting maple trees to get my fletching up. I helped him after he was scammed, wanting to buy expensive logs when the scammer switched the logs and gave him less expensive logs. Ever since then we talked a bit, but I didn’t see him on in a while.

Seanp41- A real life buddy -- Shawn. Wolf got him to play. He’s currently getting used to the game.

Julus Cesr - One of my “female” friends who helped me with my experiment. We were talking today and he was telling me how Jagex sent him a message thinking of accepting him to be a player moderator. I believe him, but after reading that Jagex never hints to the player if they’re getting closer to being a mod or not to whether he’s telling the truth. We’re going to go walk around f2p tomorrow or someday this week and be our own little police force, just for fun. We both want to become player moderators badly. I’d love to be one. Then I can actually mute somebody when they speak badly about God, others, or Zezima. Also I like silver crowns.

Zezima - Who doesn’t have him on their friends list? You can’t talk to him but you can see if he signs on or not, and today he was going crazy signing on and off. I think he was either having computer issues or he was fooling around turning his private messages on and off.


And that’s my friends list. A bit small, but that’s all I need. My typing finger is about to fall off now, so I’m going to run off.

And just to add, our (Caitlin and I) progress at making the layout is at 1% -- I created a picture that’ll be used for something to which Caitlin is going to edit it further to be useful to the layout of the page and Caitlin is learning about the Blogger codes.

Have a good day.

No comments: