Friday, May 12, 2006

Interview with Strange Chris Hesser: The Birthday Rap

"Buddy" [3:22 P.M.]: Hello Strange Chris Hesser. Would you mind if I gave you a formal interview of sorts for the use on Buddy Foote's Blog v.2?

Norwegian Yah [3:22 P.M.]: Go for it.

"Buddy" [3:23 P.M.]: Can you explain in words to the readers of Buddy Foote's Blog what happened during the 9th/10th grade luch today?

Norwegian Yah [3:25 P.M.]: Well, I'm sitting there at lunch, just talking. Then I hear "Hesser, Hesser, Hesser" and I look over, and sure enough we got people chanting my name. So I waved, not sure what they wanted me to do. Then it died down, and I noticed some peeps out there motioning for me to go up. Well, it was a bit too late now, so I ignored it. A few minutes later, I hear "Birth-day-Rap! Birth-day-Rap!" and...I stood up. Thye cheered, I went up to the center of the cafeteria, looked around, silenced the crowd, and starting rapping.

Norwegian Yah [3:25 P.M.]: That's pretty much it.

"Buddy" [3:26 P.M.]: Who was this birthday rap directed toward?

Norwegian Yah [3:26 P.M.]: My sister, Clarise. It was her birthday, and I didn't have anything for her, so I made a rap up.

"Buddy" [3:27 P.M.]: How did this make you feel?

Norwegian Yah [3:28 P.M.]: What, making the rap? If I recall, I made it late at night, so tired.

"Buddy" [3:36 P.M.]: Well, I said that wrong.

"Buddy" [3:36 P.M.]: I mean how did the calling of your name make you feel and the fame you received?

Norwegian Yah [3:37 P.M.]: Oh. In that case, very very proud. Too proud actually. Bragging proud. But you know, it's not every day it happens, so I'm going to brag about it. I loved it. It's cool when you know that the majority of people think your entertaining.

"Buddy" [3:38 P.M.]: What did others say to you after your act?

Norwegian Yah [3:42 P.M.]: So many compliments, so many handshakes, so many "That was awesomes". I had a lot of people say I needed a microphone, which I did, because those kids were loud when clapping. I had to shout as loud as I could to get the lyrics out. That was cool. So yeah, in general, people enjoyed it. There was a small vocal minority who said I'm a sellout or something, but I guess they think all entertainers are sellouts.

"Buddy" [3:43 P.M.]: Do you like the attention?

Norwegian Yah [3:46 P.M.]: I love it. I like entertaining. Sometimes I'm a bet nervous pre-performance, because you never know what a teacher will do. But once I get up there and I'm in the clear, I just soak it all up. And then with the applause afterwards, awesome feeling.

"Buddy" [3:46 P.M.]: I saw that the vice principal approached you after you sat down after your rap. What did he say?

Norwegian Yah [3:48 P.M.]: I was sort of caught up in the situation, and I may have missed a few details. The basic idea was, he said "What was that all about?" and I said "That was the Birthday Rap. And when you got the whole cafeteria chanting your name, you just got to go up and perform" and he just nodded and left.

"Buddy" [3:51 P.M.]: While I was sitting there watching you and wondering what was going on, I saw teachers such as Walchak walk around and trying to get people to sit down, and she was somewhat shaking pretty badly. How do you feel about the confused reaction the teachers took to this.

Norwegian Yah [3:54 P.M.]: To get in a bit of a backstory, it reminds me of another comedian group, Improv Everywhere. They've been known to go into stores and do comedic stunts, and when they do, all the employees start going nuts. And the same thing happened here. The employees, the teachers, lost control and had no idea what was happening. They weren't used to this situation. I can't really blame them, and I'm happy they just let me continue my act, and let the kids have some good clean fun for once.

"Buddy" [3:55 P.M.]: When was the first time you introduced this rap in the school?

Norwegian Yah [3:57 P.M.]: Technically, it was on my Strange Chris CD. But sometimes, people want me to do skits in classes. I realized that of all the stuff I did, the Birthday Rap would be great because it had audience participation. So, one day I performed in Mr. Tochelli's class, and it was a hit there. So that was the very first time I did it "live".

"Buddy" [3:59 P.M.]: Do you think this'll want people to buy your Strange Chris CD? Ever think of using eBay just for the keck of trying to sell an unfamilar CD? People bet on weirder things.

Norwegian Yah [4:00 P.M.]: I doubt they'll want to buy it. If they do, cool, lots of extra CD's lying around. But I don't really need to sell them. I don't need the money at this point.

"Buddy" [4:01 P.M.]: How do you want to spread your fame?

Norwegian Yah [4:02 P.M.]: Future plans include possibly releasing everything for free on the internet. As of now, I'm still working on new material, and I think word of mouth and live performances is the best option. Afterall, thats what bands do. They release a CD, then tour and play those songs.

"Buddy" [4:04 P.M.]: Would you ever think about being in a talent show?

Norwegian Yah [4:06 P.M.]: I am doing it next year. I would have done it this year, but I didn't hear the announcements to audition for it. So I was too late. Next year I will though, and it will hopefully have some audience participation like the Birthday Rap.

"Buddy" [4:07 P.M.]: Do you think that you'll ever go somewhere in the entertainment department?

Norwegian Yah [4:08 P.M.]: As in have it as a career?

Norwegian Yah [4:10 P.M.]: Because I don't want to like, actively go and try and be famous and move to Hollywood or New York City. But if something ever comes along, who knows? I may try and go for it.

"Buddy" [4:17 P.M.]: That's good. I bet you had a blast today then.

Norwegian Yah [4:17 P.M.]: Indeed I did.

"Buddy" [4:18 P.M.]: Well, thank you for this small interview.

Norwegian Yah [4:19 P.M.]: Interviews rule. I always love being interviewed about myself. It's like, being on a talk show. I want to be on one of them. But that has yet to happen. So I'll stick to these for now.

"Buddy" [4:20 P.M.]: Thanks for letting me have your time to ask you these questions.

Norwegian Yah [4:20 P.M.]: Yeppers You can interview me whenever you want.



Also I'd like to wish my brother-in-law a happy birthday today. Maybe Hesser can rap fpr him...

No comments: