Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Light

Waking up in the morning for school, work, an event, surgery, etc. sucks. Period. Not only are you awaken quite rudely by the annoying beep of the alarm clock located right next to your bed or somewhere in your room (or even more annoying -- a friend or relative shaking you to get up) but you have to find motivation to open your eyes, turn off the alarm clock, and get out of bed to get up and move quickly to get ready. Then while you're getting ready you're mentally reminded that you were just sleeping about three minutes ago all nice and cozy under the covers in bed, but now here you are pouring yourself a bowl of cereal to get the required energy needed for the first part of the day until lunchtime. Then after the fog has drifted away from your mind, a common side effect of waking up in the morning suddenly from a soundless sleep, you begin to actually think again, and you're immediately reminded of all the worries of the world and what obstacles are in your way today, and then you realize how much you just want to float back upstairs, go right through the wall, and back into bed with the alarm clock off and shutting the outside world off along with it. And then sometimes in the morning, something alarming and out of the ordinary occurs, and being all groggy from sleep your brain doesn't have its logic ready to use at the moment in a situation, and mostly the worst outcome occurs, or not the smartest one. Then after it's all said and done, you feel awake, like your body just had some instant coffee. And then sometimes you wonder why you write blog entries that have nothing to freaking do with what you wanted to type up and then you just stop what you were doing and move onto the next and correct subject while an awkward silence follows afterwards.

...


Well, the huge paragraph above does have a minor thing to do with the main subject I wanted to address here. When I woke up this morning having all the effects that were listed above, I slowly proceeded downstairs and was heading into the bathroom when I noticed one of those strange events that don't normally happen in the corner of my eye. In the corner of my eye in the range of my sight I saw a light. It wasn't just a light, it was the light. A definite light. If I said 'a' light, it could've been any light in the house. Y'know, the light above the stove in the kitchen; the light on the LCD screen on the desktop's monitor; the light from the lamp in the hallway -- but it was not any of these but it was 'the' light. This light was the very blue light that I love to see when I turn this baby on. It was the blue light that illuminates the disc slot of the Nintendo Wii. I was freaking out at first, and became wide awake when I saw the light just there, being on while the Wii remained idle. Without thinking, I turned the Wii on, and then when the light on the power button turned green, back off. This made the blue light go away, but then I got ticked off when I realized what I had done.

There was a system update going on. As soon as I turned my Wii off and my logic flowed back into my brain, a little too late, did I realize this. At that moment, I remembered reading in the Nintendo Support section of their site back when my first Wii broke that the light on the Wii goes on when you either get a message or e-mail, or when there's a system update going on. Maybe it wasn't Nintendo's site but JoyStiq. Either way, I knew that it had to be a system update, as my Wii has no friends yet. I just went and continued my normal get-ready-for-school routine after this event happened, but something about this event I couldn't get out of my head all day today. Maybe I was just curious to know what the update was. Upon thinking about this, I thought right away that it had to be the forecast channel. Even after coming home from school, I didn't touch my Wii at all, but went onto the internet and looked at flashcards for my Spanish test tomorrow -- the usual internet and schoolwork I do after school. I popped onto Joystiq just a little while ago and saw that the system update for the Wii was in fact that forecast channel, and a greater surprise came along with that blog entry on there. On December 22 (this Friday) the free demo trial of the Wii's internet browser, Opera, will be up for download. The full version won't be out until Spring 2007, but even the full version will be free until June 2007, and then it will require 500 Wii Points (which is $5 worth) to download permanently and keep. This got me pretty excited and stoked. Even though in the comments, people were ranting on about what the purpose of a browser is on the Wii when almost everybody has desktops and laptops, but I see it as a change in surfing the internet in a different way. I mean, honestly, don't you think mouses and keyboards are getting old? Why not instead use a Wiimote and the Wii's Keyboard, built right on the screen? I'm going to make sure that I don't shut off that system update Friday morning.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is an amazing game. If you don't have a Wii and you don't plan on getting one in a year or two, then just get it for the Gamecube at least. It won't be the same experience (once you go Wii, it's hard to go analog again), but at least you're getting the game. It's like the case scenario if somebody offered you a half piece of pie for fifty cents, and a full piece for a dollar and fifty cents. Say you only have seventy-five cents and you're starving. What are you going to get? Same case with LOZ:TP. In other words, would you rather wait and fork up the 250 for the Wii, and then even have to wait until stores have them at the point where you don't have to sleep outside for them, or would you rather get the LOZ:TP for the Gamecube now? If I was in this situation, I probably would not even get LOZ:TP. Why? I'm not much of a big Legend of Zelda fan, and even into consoles in general (Gamecube went a long time ago in my mind to console heaven), so therefore the chance of me even having this game without having purchased the Wii is slim. But this is coming from a guy who didn't like Legend of Zelda pre-Wii -- get the game! It's not that I didn't like it, but some games I just can't get into. These include Zelda and Metroid, and even Star Fox. I'm now converting myself to Zeldaism, and I shall practice the works of Zelda!

In other news...

I might do the Runescape Christmas 2006 update later tonight and while doing it, I'm going to take a lot of pictures just so that this very blog could one day contain some of the only pictures of the event or even of Runescape, if it is to ever go -poof-. I also need to take these pictures as I'm out of stock of "Pictures of the Day" specials.

Have a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Post.