Tuesday, December 27, 2005

PKing and Pures?

UnleasedFury (maybe you'll remember him) and I have been fighting a lot on Runescape's personel messanging system. Mostly over two main topics, pures and PKing. Now if you're not used to Runescape or the terms used in the MMORPG, I'll be happy to explain them.


A pure in Runescape is a player account in which the player only levels up in one skill. For example, if you ever see a level three chopping down yew trees (which requires level 60 woodcutting), then he or she is most likely a pure. Mostly people who have a pure also have another account called a main account in which that account will be stronger than the pure. Most pures are arranged in combat. A pure can specilize in certain combat skills, such as attack, strength, defence, magic, prayer, or range. That way somebody can underestimate you when they fight you in the wilderness (a PKing region of the game) and you can easily "pwn" them because your strength is 50 but your combat level is only 21. You can also have 21 attack, 22 strength, and 19 defence to be level 21, this not being a pure. But you could see how one can underestimate another.

PKing simply stands for player killing, this meaning when one player fights and kills another player. Player as in not being an NPC (non-playable character). You can PK in the wilderness only but you could also "safely" kill and fight others in the Duel Arena (member's only) but dueling isn't condsidered PKing. PKing can be a dangerous sport. Clans are made in Runescape that set out to go in the wilderness united and have huge clan wars. I never went in the wilderness and probably never will.

Anyway now that we defined pure and PKing, I will set out to say why Unleased and I are fighting.

First of all, I never understood the purpose of multiple accounts in Runescape. Everybody is saying it's fun, including Unleased, for making pures or starting all over again for that freashing experience, but my theory is make an account, level up so that's a powerhouse, and walk around while everybody stares at you, jaws opened, looking at your whip and god armour. Then they ask you how much money you have in your bank and you proudly exclaim "300 million!" Then everybody crowds around you like children in nursey school ready to be read a story book asking you how you made such a fortune (and you'll have those regular beggers) and you'll just whisper, "It is indeed a secret." But I'm getting off of track here. Unleased has been personel messanging me lately on his pure account saying, "Pure!" and "You should make a pure!" and "I'm having so much fun with my pure!" I just don't see the fun behind it! It's a pain in the neck leveling up so why would you want to start from scratch? He said PKing is the whole fun aspect behind it when a level 51 wants to kill you in the wilderness (while you're level 21 with 50 strength) and you go and kill him. Well, bahumbug to that. I don't like PKing either because I am afraid to go into the wilderness and die. He said that's fun. Well, I'm not the kind of person on Runescape who makes fun of others or hurts them in any way by saying "noob" or "I owned you". Those are the two most disrespectful and annoying phrases in the game. Thank God they took out "pwn" and censored it. When in the Dueling Arena, I say "good fight" if I die or kill them or "congradulations" or "I'm going to die" or anything similar. Not anything like "ownage" or "prayer noob!" or "you suak!" For crying out loud I don't even talk like that on the game!

Anyway, I didn't make one point here at all besides getting mad over words. But I will always be fighting with Unleashed in the "pure and PKing war". He finds a god upper value to them and I do not. PKing doesn't bother me as much as the whole pure thing.

Anyway, here are some random pictures taken by my Nixon 4800 digital camera and the screen capturing device built in on SwiftSwitch.





On the second row of the above pictures (I hope you know the difference between a column and a row) I met an awesome friend this morning while playing Runescape who calls himself by the name of Zult. He's combat level 109. Now Zult amazed me because he was actually nice to me. Here I had this sterotypical image in my head that people with high levels go around like a powerhouse, being all "tough" and "mean" to other players through name calling or saying something like, "Why did you even become a member with that armor" or "There's a lot of greens here" (that last statement would be hard to explain but I'll try. See on those pictures how the text that says "(level-109)" by Zult's name is red. That means he is much higher than my combat level. Therfore if you scroll over somebody's name and their combat level comes up green, that means their combat level is much lower than yours. Got it?). But Zult, he didn't do any of those things. We had very good conversations, became friends, and I even pinpointed him to this blog and promised him a picture of the two of us on it. And to Zult, my armour matches now. I got a rune chainmail.

I also made another friend online today at the Dueling Arena who I kept on killing. He's level 51. We might be PKing friends if Unleased ever proves me wrong and conviences me that PKing is fun.

Now, have a good day.

No comments: