Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Research Report

All it took was a quick search on Google and I got all of the basic information I need on where player-owned houses (in which players call POH) is heading. Plus I leaned some valuable information, such as the farming skill was released just a little while before I joined Runescape during the summer in July. Anyway, this is what I learned.

  • The carpentry skill and the whole POH scheme was actually promised when Runescape first came out. As you can see, Jagex is still promising.
  • With this carpentry skill, we're supposed to be allowed to make our own furniture for our POH's which should add a whole new market onto the already large one.
  • This skill is members-only which shouldn't be a shock to some.
  • Jagex's old excuse for not releasing POH's was that there wasn't enough space in the game for each and every individual person to own a house. If you read my other post today, I figured this.
  • The farming skill and POH's were actually supposed to go together but Jagex seperated them in order to bring the farming skill to it's players sooner. They also promised that POH's would be released by the end of this year with this statement. Quote, "Player Owned Houses are still being worked on along with the Carpentry skill for release towards the end of this year - Honestly! :-)" Honestly? With Jagex's Behind The Scenes for this December, they promised us nothing about POH's. I guess they're not too honest then. There's only a couple of days before the end of the year is over so unless they release this major update in the next three days, they will have let us down yet again. Maybe this is Jagex's excuse for making us use our online marketplaces longer.
That is all I have for now but I just wanted to make these points across to everybody. I think Jagex spent too much time on this Christmas update to even worry about POH's. Only time will tell however.

EDIT right after posting: Why does it seem that everytime after I do something that I find an interesting value to add. Here, read this. This is a forum topic on Runescape Community which is about the carpentry skill and POH's not being discussed in this month's Behind The Scenes, addressed to you by Paul, a Jagex mod himself. He states that this skill never was promised and it's release date was all but a prediction because people were nagging at Jagex for so long about this topic that they picked a time where they thought it may be released. Surely by what Paul is saying, there may still be three months or more (hopefully less) of work having to be put into this major update. So I salute Jagex for doing a good job and not putting POH's to the side. I'll just have to wait in time. Now my only problem is if they come out with POH's and not shops. Then I just wasted a lot of time.

No comments: